Possible Front daytime LEDs for R1200RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
vx5r

Re: Possible Front daytime LEDs for R1200RT

Post by vx5r »

I paid 824 for my Darla lights with Canopener and Billie brake light.  Is a bit high but goes in very easily.  No additional wiring or switches to install.  Fully programmable for brightness and activation.  I really like the lights flash when the horn is used.  That has saved the bacon twice so far this year.  Just like flashing the lights with sound added.  Adds a real level of safety when you can alert a box of rocks on the side of the road that there is a real vehicle coming.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Ouch,  that's about £583  but I've got to say they are the best I've seen
I keep hoping to bump into Benchmark so I can see them in the flesh
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Do you have to have scaffolding bars fixed to mount these?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

richardbd wrote: Do you have to have scaffolding bars fixed to mount these?
No you can get them to fit to the over priced BMW brackets if you wish  ;)
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Maz12 wrote: Ouch,  that's about £583  but I've got to say they are the best I've seen
I keep hoping to bump into Benchmark so I can see them in the flesh
I'm afraid what ever the cost in dollars getting them here incurs import duty\tax so no they ain't cheap  :o but quite possibly the best out there  :thumbs:
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Benchmark wrote: No you can get them to fit to the over priced BMW brackets if you wish  ;)

Phew - that's a relief...
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I too have been looking at Clearwater lights for my 2015 1200rt-lc and wondered whether I could fit them myself.  I have little knowledge or understanding of motorcycle electrics, but can generally follow good and detailed instructions.  Any advice or thoughts would be welcomed.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I was just wondering, if you go scuba diving in the West Country again if you will be able to return them for an exchange at your local Clearwater dealer.
vx5r

Post by vx5r »

I put my Darla lights, Canopener, and Billie brake light on myself.  Had to remove six panels and the speaker unit on the right side of the bike.  Used the YouTube video on accessing the air filter as a guide.  It was not difficult but time consuming and does require a bit of planning on wiring location.  Sure a lot cheaper than having the shop install.
  My son has put a similar set of front lights on his R1100S and had to install a fuse block, separate dimmer controls, design and install wiring, and configure mounts.  Although he paid considerably less, I don't feel bad about the cost of the Clearwater system.
  I recommend it.  Gud luck.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I wouldn't be happy with a light flash as well as the horn, that is a mixed message in the UK as light flash is often, albeit incorrectly, given as an 'after you' signal.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

blokeonthemove wrote: I wouldn't be happy with a light flash as well as the horn, that is a mixed message in the UK as light flash is often, albeit incorrectly, given as an 'after you' signal.
If you're using any of the clearwater lights with the CanOpener by default that feature is turned off, but easy enough to enable for those that want it.

Horn mode on operating clearwater lights.
Mode 1 – horn does not affect lights (default)
Mode 2 – horn activates lights 100%
Mode 3 – horn strobes lights

You can also use the CanOpener to operate an additional brake light in the following modes:
Mode 1 – off (default)
Mode 2 – functions identically to BMW brake light
Mode 3 – California legal strobe on brake activation (4Hz flash)
Mode 4 – speed sensitive (flashes faster and brighter with harder braking)
Pope

Post by Pope »

Gadgetsandwheels wrote: Now looking at LEDs for the front. These are the ones I've considered so far. From Halfords. Ring brand. Not exactly easy to find a good mounting point but I'm thinking of getting them mounted vertically without looking cheap n cheerful.  Will come back if I get a successful conclusion.

https://youtu.be/tDqFkvOFVpg
[/quote

They look pretty shite to me....but thats just my opinion like..
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I put these on, with a set of Techmounts.  Inexpensive and seem to work well.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ifications
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

richardbd wrote:

Any particular reason you find it necessary to make some snarky comment every time someone mentions engine bars?  We get it.  You don't like them.  Then don't install a set.  Nobody cares about your preference.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

mercator1 wrote:
Any particular reason you find it necessary to make some snarky comment every time someone mentions engine bars?  We get it.  You don't like them.  Then don't install a set.  Nobody cares about your preference.
+1