2014 LE - Newbie question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

2014 LE - Newbie question

Post by Casbar »

Hi all, first post!  I own a Harley, but looking to buy an RT as a second bike :)

Have my eye on two at the moment, one is a March 2014 and one is a Sept 2014. The slightly older one is a private sale, newer is a dealer bike.

I went to a page on here to download the manuals and found there is a different one for March and Sept. So is there a difference in the bikes?
guest2360

Re: 2014 LE - Newbie question

Post by guest2360 »

No.  The March bike though would have been subject to the rear shock recall which is not a concern. If its present owner is not its first though he probably would have managed to buy it at a discounted price
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thanks. So why would the second owner have got a discount? Because it was subject to a recall? The March bike is fully loaded, but would the Sept bike be a better option then. Not as many extras, about a 1000 miles more, but same price
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Owners of recall bikes all had the option of handing the bike back and some did as there was nearly a 3 month delay fixing the shock.  These bikes were resold when fixed  at a bit of a discount.  The recall only replaced one small rod in part of the shock . These bike are now no different to any of them.  Buy the bike with the highest spec. Things like pro shift and audio units are well worth having. One other thing to consider is warranty.  With a bike from a dealer you will get the BMW Authorised Used Bike warranty which is 12 months. I suspect nothing with the private buy, although you can buy the warranty from BMW.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thanks for your help.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When I bought a Used (2012) RT in 2014 from a BMW Dealer, the Used Bike Warranty cost £210.00, this was included in the price of the Bike.
The most recent quote I've had for a BMW Extended Warranty, plus Emergency Service with a £100 Excess is £348.
The cost of the Warranty might be worth haggling over with the Private sale, plus it may be due a Service.

The March 2014 (Private Sale) will currently have at least 1 month of the 2 Year New Bike Warranty remaining, this is transferable to a new Owner.
This may give you some peace of mind over a Private sale & the opportunity to get anything put right before it's 2 Years old.

If you've got the details of the Private Bike, the Service History could be checked at a BMW Dealer.

As both Bikes are the same price now, the Fully Loaded one should realize a better resale value in the future.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thanks, great advice. The bike is fully serviced, so hopefully no issues. Will look at a Warrenty. Great forum
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

As a lifetime Harley rider, I too needed a change to a smaller lighter bike for a second set of wheels. Now I have a 2016R1200RT LC and the Ultra Classic just sits in the garage. You will no doubt fall in love with the more nimble RT. Have fun.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Twice in one day RTs being bought as second bikes.  They won't stay in that category for long, guaranteed.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

We will see. Just couldn't bring myself to trade my Harley. I needed a bike to use for blood biking. We have some marked bikes, but mostly use our own, as we don't offer an emergency service. It was a great excuse to buy a second bike
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

Yes I shall be using the RT for Blood running as well. It should be better running down the M2 in the middle of the night, particularly with the radio, heated seats & bars and that fairing is just better than the GS, good as that is. :)
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Pete1200 wrote: Yes I shall be using the RT for Blood running as well. It should be better running down the M2 in the middle of the night,
Looks like there's one or two of us on here in blood groups, although ours exclusively only uses service bikes  :)