Brake calliper q

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Brake calliper q

Post by David. »

The Fork Leg/Brake Caliper mounting bolts (M8x30) are torque set to 30 Nm & screwed into the Caliper itself.
Last edited by David. on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't do it.  Could be the most expensive bit of cosmetic work you will ever do and there are safety implications. I recall many years ago I was told replacement bolts and seals to split the calliper were once available but after a legal case in the US after a repair went wrong they were withdrawn world wide.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

oooooops
Last edited by chrismckay on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

DaygloDavid wrote: The Fork Leg/Brake Caliper mounting bolts (M8x30) are torque set to 30 Nm & screwed into the Caliper itself.

Ah...so they do...that gives me a reference point then!!

once again...thank you... ^-^
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

RTman10 wrote: Don't do it.  Could be the most expensive bit of cosmetic work you will ever do and there are safety implications. I recall many years ago I was told replacement bolts and seals to split the calliper were once available but after a legal case in the US after a repair went wrong they were withdrawn world wide.

I believe this to be the reason why the information is so elusive.....apparently Brembo has had the same and doesnt give out specs now
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think the case was against Brembo in the first place. If the bolts are just tarnished a bit of gloss black paint will sort them.  And remember stainless steel  can be brittle and is the reason it's not used in the first place.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

RTman10 wrote: Think the case was against Brembo in the first place. If the bolts are just tarnished a bit of gloss black paint will sort them.  And remember stainless steel  can be brittle and is the reason it's not used in the first place.

Sound advice RTman... :thumbs: [size=78%].......aren't the calliper mounting bolts stainless though???[/size]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On my LC for sure not.  I'm sure they are not on yours.  Many fixings on brakes are always replaced if they are removed as they would have stretched when torqued up but won't  do it again.  Stainless doesn't. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's the solution.