Inaccurate Cruise Control

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
robd1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Has liked: 1 time
Australia

Inaccurate Cruise Control

Post by robd1 »

I've done nearly 5000kms on my 2014 R1200RT LC. Having come from a bike with a very accurate, responsive cruise control, I find the BMW one very slow to respond to incremental increases or decreases in speed. When I push the increase button it sometimes doesn't do anything or if I push it a few times it suddenly increases the speed by 5 kms/hr. When coming to a downward slope it increases in speed and on a hill it can slow by 5 kms/hr or more. As I ride in the front of a group I use my cruise control a lot to maintain a constant speed but find I now am continuously fiddling with it. Does anybody know if there is any way to calibrate it? I asked my local dealer but the question was more or less dismissed. I would be grateful for any feed back
guest2360

Re: Inaccurate Cruise Control

Post by guest2360 »

Can't say I've noticed any delay when tapping the button either up or down. Keep it pressed and it will of course keep accelerating until you stop. And it holds a steady speed up and down hill.  Go back to your dealer tell him it's not working property and ask for a new switch under warranty.  Any problem I have ever heard about with cruise control is always solved with a replacement switch. 
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

I use my cruise on the 05 frequently.  You could reset the computer and see if that helps.  I once had a slight problem and that fixed it.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A couple of threads here about Cruise Control problems from other Forums:-

BMWLT, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/1 ... s-off.html

UKGSer, http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... trol+fault

With the above information, if the Bike is under Warranty, go back to the Dealer who "Fobbed you Off" or take it a.n.other Dealer.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Robd1, welcome to the Forum,  as already mentioned take it back to a Dealer,  something is clearly not right, possibly the switch gear ?........ ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Not seen this problem on any of the three BMWs I have had with Cruise control, if it bugs you should have it looked at by the dealer I guess, Peter
welshrt

Post by welshrt »

Had similar issues to what has been written. Nothing much has changed since they changed the switch cluster s on the tc and lc. It's the complete unit that needs changing. Have a new one on order at the moment
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Seems to becoming a frequent issue with the switch gear,  I believe someone on the forum took one apart and after lubricating the internal parts it then worked fine without sticking / failing ?........
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

In the light of what 'Stelyn' says I wonder if the switch failure problem is caused by moisture, if so maybe cling film around it when washing may help, they must be quite a complicated thing inside as they have so many functions.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would strongly advise against taking the unit apart.  If it is faulty when you go to a dealer you would probably find you won't get a free replacement.  As the control is an integral part of the complete left hand cluster they are not cheap.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

The cruise control set up is the same as on their 4 wheeled cousins, a single quick tap up or down and it will alter speed by 1mph or km depending on the country.
A slightly longer push alters by 5mph/km.
Keeping it pressed for longer and speed alters until you decide when to stop, obviously one shouldn't set the cruise control then remove hands from grips and start knitting, reading a newspaper or have a bowl of cereal for example.
Rice Cripsies get everywhere ! :alas:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !