Warranty problems

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mhr43

Warranty problems

Post by mhr43 »

I have been considering adding some extra rear lighting to my 2015 1200RT. As far as I can ascertain BMW does not manufacture anything suitable, so have been looking at other manufacturers/suppliers. I asked my local BMW dealer about fitting and was advised that it could invalidate my warranty, particularly if BMW head office became involved in any warranty claim.
Have forum members experienced such difficulties and does this mean that the fitting of non BMW parts and accessories is liable to cause warranty problems?
guest2360

Re: Warranty problems

Post by guest2360 »

Firstly all warranty claims involve BMW as they pay the dealer for work carried out.  I think you would only have a problem with the fitting of aftermarket parts if your dealer thought that item had caused the claim. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Surely not willing to replace you Givi case is just the dealer wanting to sell you a BMW one, nothing to do with warranty.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

My question to the dealer was about lighting. My purpose in raising this on the forum was because of the dealer's response. It did not concern 'freestanding' items like luggage.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's lighting that just might lead to problems if additional items connected to the    Canbus /limbus system does it damage.  Then I think BMW would quite rightly turn down any necessary repairs under warranty. Having said that many of our American members seem to connect enough additional lighting to supply a small town and no dreaded failures have been reported here.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Its a good question re warranty and aftermarket gadgets.

I often wonder about insurance claims and aftermarket gizmos fitted, I bet in the real world that can cause a problem too, especially if not fitted by the manufacturer,

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

mhr43 wrote: I have been considering adding some extra rear lighting to my 2015 1200RT. As far as I can ascertain BMW does not manufacture anything suitable, so have been looking at other manufacturers/suppliers. I asked my local BMW dealer about fitting and was advised that it could invalidate my warranty, particularly if BMW head office became involved in any warranty claim.
Have forum members experienced such difficulties and does this mean that the fitting of non BMW parts and accessories is liable to cause warranty problems?
BMW can supply you with a grossly overpriced high level stop/tail light to complement the big 49 litre BMW top box, provided that you have the pre-wired version of the top box. However, as RTman rightly states, our US colleagues have fitted 'Skene' lighting that fits neatly into the light recess on the new (big) top box and yes, it appears to work well. Re warranty, I am wanting to improve the rear lighting also on my 2015 LC RT, but am wary of DIY jobs that could, if they go wrong/interfere with the can bus etc, possibly cause aggro with the dealer, come any electrical system related claim whilst the bike is under the OEM warranty. When the OEM warranty expires, then the world is your proverbial!  Just my thoughts on the matter, but each to their own at the end of the day.... :) 
Last edited by Steve F on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I fitted a set of HyperLite to one of my Harleys, they were great and fitted alongside the number plate. There are some threads on US forums where riders have fitted to LC, there is a way of doing it, without impacting the electrics. The only thing stopping me, is I need to find out the size of the bracket they fit on, i seem to remember US license plates are smaller, the bracket fitted the Harley ok, as I was running a slightly smaller plate.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

The fitting of any aftermarket electrical device not directly configured as "CAN-BUS" Compatible will throw the electrical system off, producing fault codes without fail.
I had my dealer install a Rowe Electronics PDM60 power distribution module I picked up on E Bay before I took delivery. He mounted it to the outside of the battery box with double face tape ( you need to access the port on the back to assign functions to each circuit) making it easily accessible. It will give you 6 circuits, each programmable and NO CAN-BUS issues.
If you plan on adding additional devices, even temporary ones, you may want to consider this option.
Enjoy the ride!
Oh the places we will go
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Skene P3 lights, easy install  no canbus issues, I've installed these on about a dozen BMW's all worked as advertised
Jim
iRider

Post by iRider »

I have added Hyperlites to the rear of my 2015 RT and I went for them because they don't draw anything from the brake light circuit and as such the CanBus doesn't see them. They are powered independently of the brake light circuit are activated by a sensor wire attached with PosiTap connector.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

IRider.  For Canbus read Linbus. Supposed to be the next generation of Canbus and was first used on the 1600s. Apparently more reliable and no doubt cheaper to produce.
iRider

Post by iRider »

RTman10 wrote: IRider.  For Canbus read Linbus. Supposed to be the next generation of Canbus and was first used on the 1600s. Apparently more reliable and no doubt cheaper to produce.

In these austere times Im guessing the cheaper bit was the priority  :))  You only have to look at the things most would class as essential and others as desirable yet they were not fitted as Std on a £15k bike.. Fenda Extenda, tank pads, frame plugs etc. That said, its not a criticism of BMW in particular as its an industry wide thing otherwise the mass of after market suppliers would have a business.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.