The Cost Of Things

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

The Cost Of Things

Post by guest2360 »

we all moan about the price of genuine BMW bits, but.  Just found a reciept for a BMW Navigator 3 Plus I bought in Oct 2006.  £963.00.  Must have been mad.  Puts the V in a different light. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: The Cost Of Things

Post by David. »

The BMW Nav. 3 was probably made by Garmin & a copy of the StreetPilot 2820.

BMW don't make Sat. Nav's., you're just paying for the Badge.

With the Nav. 5, "BMW contracted with Garmin to produce a BMW exclusive device."
Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As with all sat navs sold by various bike manufacturers they are all rebadged mainstream units.  All BMW ones going back to the Nav 1 in 2000 have been produced by Garmin.  the Navigstor 3 and 3plus were based on the Streetpilot 3 and the IV on the 660. However somewhere down the line the software was different.
The V has no Garmin twin although of course still produced by them.  My point was in a little over 9 years it's price has come down by nearly half .
I also had one of the first Navigator 1 units.  That took an age to change screen maps and lost all satellites if it got within 100 yards of a tree.  The price £1250.
They are a bit like having the latest version of an RT. Much better than all the previous models
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:We all moan about the price of genuine BMW bits.
Sorry, I took it that the thread was about the cost of Genuine BMW Bits, hence the comparison between BMW & Garmin.

The cost of Electrical goods has certainly come down over the years.

Has the relative cost of RT's gone up or down over the same period of time.
Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Compare the price of computers, from 5-10 years ago, in many cases 1/3 the price of a few short years ago. On the other hand other items have doubled or tripled in price in 10 or more years, example tires!
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: we all moan about the price of genuine BMW bits, but.  Just found a reciept for a BMW Navigator 3 Plus I bought in Oct 2006.  £963.00.  Must have been mad.  Puts the V in a different light.

It might put the Nav5 in a "different" light.  Not sure it puts in in a "better" light though.

I'm still pining for my Zumo 550...

:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Zumo 550, also known as the BMW Zumo.  Bit long in the tooth Sir that one. And very very small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Zumo 550... very very small.

but its functionality is more in line with my capability and needs.  14 months in, I still think the Nav5 is c**p...
Jim

Post by Jim »

Purchased a StreetPilot 2820 at the 2005 Nec Bike Show, it cost me £635.00. Quite expensive but not as expensive as the BMW Motorrad one.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW Nav. 5, http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/equ ... gatorV.pdf

& the Garmin 590, https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the- ... 45273.html

have the same size 5" (diagonal) screen.
Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Jim wrote: Purchased a StreetPilot 2820 at the 2005 Nec Bike Show, it cost me £635.00. Quite expensive but not as expensive as the BMW Motorrad one.

probably better though...

Rocket Tim

Post by Rocket Tim »

just a quick question, we are at the fifth model so I can only issue that the newer model will be coming out soon?, how long do I hold off before I purchase the BMW navigation unit.

or not bother going for a different make, the only thing is the handlebars on the RT, I would suggest is not meant for a mounting kit.
any thoughts.

Had a lovely ride out today with the Maidstone Rats, between 6 and 10°, heat seats and handlebars works excellently.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Rocket Tim wrote: just a quick question, we are at the fifth model so I can only issue that the newer model will be coming out soon?, how long do I hold off before I purchase the BMW navigation unit.

or not bother going for a different make, the only thing is the handlebars on the RT, I would suggest is not meant for a mounting kit.
any thoughts.

Had a lovely ride out today with the Maidstone Rats, between 6 and 10°, heat seats and handlebars works excellently.

Tim,

Assuming you've got an LCRT, give up now and buy the Nav5.  I find it incredibly frustrating in SO many ways but it's still the best option on the new bike...
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

richardbd wrote:
but its functionality is more in line with my capability and needs. 

Since when have your needs had anything to do with it. BMW Inc. et al will tell you what your needs are. Your part of the deal is to suck it up and hand over the cash and patiently await the next 'improvement'.
Chris
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

k9doc wrote:
Since when have your needs had anything to do with it. BMW Inc. et al will tell you what your needs are. Your part of the deal is to suck it up and hand over the cash and patiently await the next 'improvement'.

I am not a number...