Tyre Repair Kit

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
mhr43

Tyre Repair Kit

Post by mhr43 »

I am planning an overseas trip and want to take a tyre repair kit, just in case.  I have been looking at the rubber plug with CO2 canister variety. There seem to be a number on the accessory market. Has anyone any advice as to which/what I should buy?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Tyre Repair Kit

Post by David. »

I've used the Airpro Kit, http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Airpro ... n-Kit.html, to good effect.

I don't have the CO2 Cartridges, but carry a mini compressor.

Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

If you're planning on getting something like this I'd watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGAV6cZXyk as some of the instructions that come with these type of kits aren't very clear on their use.

I'd rely more on carrying a small pump than the CO2 cartridges in the kit.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Benchmark wrote:I'd watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGAV6cZXyk as some of the instructions that come with these type of kits aren't very clear on their use.

I'd rely more on carrying a small pump than the CO2 cartridges in the kit.
With the AirPro Kit, the written instructions say that once the tyre plug is inserted into the tyre using the hook-tool, the tool is turned 1/4 turn, not 1.5 turns as in the Video.

I'd agree with the small pump, CO2 cartridges are not always that successful.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

'Rat tails' kit and Airman mini compressor for me.
Chris
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi mhr43, if it helps;

( From an earlier Posting re Puncture Repair Kits )

Best to carry a `Puncture repair Kit', takes 10-15 minutes to fix at road side - alternatively wait 2 hours +, for a recovery assistance. Buy a Kit with a substantive air valve, not with a flimsy plastic one that will snap off or leak under pressure from the CO2 rendering the kit useless. Kit should include `surgical' type gloves ( protection from the glue unless you intend to ride without your MC gloves on now ) Blade to trim `plug' repair.
Carry small lightweight pair of pliers in tool roll, to pull `cause' from tyre. Remember these DIY kits are designed as a `get you home' - service area -workshop, so max speed `suggested' is 30mph,
although someone in a local club rode at 90 + with a DIY repair across France !! and then continued to ride with this repair until he eventually changed his tyres months later.
Of course some punctures /rips / damage just cannot be sorted at the roadside and may mean a recovery/ call out for new tyres ect ( hope not ). ;)
Attachments
Tyre Kit 2.JPG
Tyre Kit 1.JPG
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Stop 'n' Go for me.  Bit more complicated to use but I have much more confidence in the mushroom plugs than other approaches.  Mind you, I also carry a few sticky strings just in case.  If I have luggage on, I carry a Stop 'n' Go 12v pump too but I also have a couple of air cylinders and a hand pump stashed under my seat...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I carry the BMW kit (Tip Top) with the cylinders. A BMW Emergency Services phone number and a credit card. All take up very little space.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I am grateful for all the helpful comments.  Does anyone have experience of using a puncture prevention  tyre sealant?  There appear to be  a number of  products -BikeSeal, TyreSeal, Ultraseal etc.  BikeSeal is supposed not to react with alloy  but I wonder what damage such products might do to the TPMS.  Is  a sealant a bit OTT when I have the BMW emergency service and a tyre repair kit  (plug type)?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

mhr43 wrote: Does anyone have experience of using a puncture prevention  tyre sealant?  There appear to be  a number of  products -BikeSeal, TyreSeal, Ultraseal etc.  BikeSeal is supposed not to react with alloy  but I wonder what damage such products might do to the TPMS.  Is  a sealant a bit OTT when I have the BMW emergency service and a tyre repair kit  (plug type)?
My understanding from tyre fitters is that it can be difficult\impossible to balance the wheel, on that assumption I will keep away from it as I'd rather have a correctly balanced wheel  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would suggest you have all that is needed.  Putting sticky goo through the valve will normally murder your tyre pressure sensor if you have them.  If not you will just really wind up the poor sod who has to clean up your rim when you replace the tyre.  I have never heard of any of them damaging the alloy though. 
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Benchmark wrote: My understanding from tyre fitters is that it can be difficult\impossible to balance the wheel, on that assumption I will keep away from it as I'd rather have a correctly balanced wheel  ;)

Used Ultraseal/Puncturesafe for years with ne'r a problem. Didn't use it on a GS that had RDC monitors and that's the only one that I had a puncture on (twice within a month or so) for many years and miles. No problems with balancing and the fitters don't mind (at least they don't admit to it) as long as they are prewarned.
If they did object, then I would have to point out that I bought it from their parts department etc etc.
My riding buddy did once have a problem with balancing and it was discovered that too much stuff had been put in the front tyre.
I always do my own and am particular that the correct amount is used.
Just had a new set of Avon Storm 2 Ultra and the Puncturesafe will be going in before serious use. Feel insecure without it now.
Each to his own.
:thumbs:

Chris
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Stop n go works a treat. Used it three times now and it works. I use mine with a Slime Compressor. Be aware with the Slime is draws 15 amps too much for aux sockets. However if I was doing it again I think I would go for a small foot pump. Nippy's do one. A mechanical foot pump cannot fail. Do not like CO2 cartridges as they cannot inflate tyre to the correct pressure. All these kits can only fix a small hole. I hit a sharp chunk of metal on my Multistrada which destroyed the rear tyre. One inch split. Have good recovery insurance.