British riders better?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

British riders better?

Post by smileymiley »

Last edited by smileymiley on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Re: British riders better?

Post by guest2360 »

I AGREE WITH THE GENTLEMAN, whoever he is.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Is it true.....?? But of course it is (as I quickly hide to avoid the inevitable verbal abuse from over the pond)!!! ;)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Steve F wrote: Is it true.....?

Definitely...

bebe
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Could be, because they have to keep turning and turning to keep from running off that tiny little island :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You are getting us confused with Hong Kong or Singspore or Malta or Cyprus or the eastern states of North America.  We gave them all away ages ago.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

As an American I would agree with the article. As a 14 yr old I cut my teeth riding 50cc bikes on the streets of Paris. Yes I took "chicken circle" one street off of the Arc de Triomphe but I was on a 50 that could barely get out of it's own way. At the time any 14 yr old could ride the streets with only proof of insurance. No tests. At 16 you were allowed to ride up to 125cc's if memory serves me right and you had to take a test. At 18 I think there was still a cc limit and another test. This was France in the '70s. Here in the states, mc licensing isn't near as comprehensive as it should be in my opinion. I'm grateful for what I learned riding on the streets of Paris year round for the two years I was there. At 16 I got my mc license in the states. Simple road test, a round of questions and you are free to ride any displacement you want. Huge error in my opinion. Almost every day here in San Diego you hear of a fatal mc accident and the ages vary. A lot of times it's a young kid on a sport bike or a middle aged guy on a Harley. Often times they are brand new to motorcycling. Pretty tragic. I have to wonder how much influence the manufacturers ie Honda, Suzuki, Harley et all lobbyists in Washington DC push for lenient countrywide mc testing just to sell more bikes to inexperienced riders. I've ridden in Lebanon, Pakistan, Egypt, Tunisia and did mc courier work in DC for a couple of years. I learned quite a bit since I started this love affair with motorcycles that we all share through my experiences of living and riding abroad.
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

As I once read somewhere in a previous life, any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

It takes a special person to drive quick when the road isn't going straight for 300 miles :-)
Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

juniorswailing wrote: As I once read somewhere in a previous life, any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

It takes a special person to drive quick when the road isn't going straight for 300 miles :-)

I'll ask you kindly to leave the state of Iowa out of this! :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'll ask you kindly to leave the state of Iowa out of this! :)

You mean you have a road with a bend in it in Iowa?
Pope

Post by Pope »

Of course we Brits are all riding Gods...well, I am at least.. ;)

Maybe something to do with us having roundabouts everywhere..
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Tango

Post by Tango »

New here so hello everyone,

Good article liked the cafe racer picture. 
I had my first bike on my 16th birthday, 250 cc, an L plate was all that was required.
IIRC you could take your full licence test soon after, and be allowed to ride anything, and the test was far from tough.

Returning to bikes again after many years I found the power and complexity of modern motorcycles quite intimidating , and with increases in traffic density, I found myself not enjoying my rides. I felt quite inadequate.[/size]

I attended a one day Ride Safe course run by our local constabulary, which was excellent, and they recommended a safe for life course with the local advanced riders club.

This is not a goody goody slow and safe type course, it was quite an eye opener, and has built my confidence no end, hence purchase of nice big RT tourer to put in some miles with smiles.

stay safe

M
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Did my ROSPA and IAM in Septmber, both tests on the same day  :)  Best advice was, your most vulnerable in the weeks after the tests, because you are more confident. Did the tests to prove I could, but also joined my local Blood biking group and needed an advanced qualification
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Casbar wrote: but also joined my local Blood biking group and needed an advanced qualification
Welcome  ;)
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

RTman10 wrote: I'll ask you kindly to leave the state of Iowa out of this! :)
You mean you have a road with a bend in it in Iowa?
Har! The only "bends" in Iowa I'm aware of run parallel with the Mississippi River!  I was poking a little bit of fun at the state of Iowa.