British riders better?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
F800GT

Re: British riders better?

Post by F800GT »

For sure that with all the rain British folks get, they ride in more difficult conditions than American's especially folks in California  :-\
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I agree with the article, but I will say the US is a big place and the roads and weather conditions vary widely depending on where you live.  I am in the Pacific Northwest, Portland to be exact.  Most of the roads are quite curvy with lot of blind corners, oh, and it rains from October through May.  There are so many trees and hills, you usually can't see the horizon.  I won't mention the number of slugs on the road and how slippery they are.  :enjoying:

I have also spent a fair amount of time in Nebraska and Iowa, where I grew up.  Everything in Omaha is absolutely straight and flat as a pancake.  It all depends on where you live.
BMW MOA #210438
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Better?  Worse?  Not daft enough to answer that one.  I guess the layout of many of our roads sometimes goes centuries based on long gone fields and villages.  So, they tend to be tight and twisty.  I guess you evolve a set of skills to keep you upright in whatever environment you ride in.  I suppose it is generally true that our roads are more densely used.  No idea where I'm going with this, but I guess traffic management and survival skills are locally developed whereas raw bike handling skills are more generic.  I think. Or maybe not.  Better go before I fall off the fence and hurt myself.
Lynxfixer

Post by Lynxfixer »

We're British...we're the best at everything we want to be the best at. The stuff that we're not the best at, is not worth being the best at!!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

We've all had them and know when things are not at their best.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

We also have a significant advantage over our American friends...

Our bikes all weigh so much less because we don't double the kerb weight with scaffolding...

bebebe
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

richardbd wrote: We also have a significant advantage over our American friends...

Our bikes all weigh so much less because we don't double the kerb weight with scaffolding...

bebebe
We don't need it  as we don't fall off as often  8)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

More fake news ?  :)
timminator

Post by timminator »

Sprintgull wrote: More fake news ?  :)
Alternate facts.  ;)
BMW MOA #210438
F800GT

Post by F800GT »

timminator wrote: I agree with the article, but I will say the US is a big place and the roads and weather conditions vary widely depending on where you live.  I am in the Pacific Northwest, Portland to be exact.  Most of the roads are quite curvy with lot of blind corners, oh, and it rains from October through May.  There are so many trees and hills, you usually can't see the horizon.  I won't mention the number of slugs on the road and how slippery they are.  :enjoying:
True. How could I forget all the rain of Portland ?