Questions from a wannabe owner!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Questions from a wannabe owner!

Post by guest2360 »

I had keyless on a 1600. IMO not worth bothering with as you still need to use the fod for the central locking and the alarm unless that is set to auto on.  It's very easy to turn an RT into a scaffolders dream with aftermarket stuff but us with style don't.  BMWs own engine protectors are high quality bits of kit and do the job.  Remember the only current production GPS that will fit the cradle and connect to the wonder wheel is the Navigator V. Older models that fit are the Garmin 660 and the Nav IV.
if you are going to have the audio unit I would suggest you spend time here and look at all the options for ways to connect to it.
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

Not going for the audio system, and I will try to use my tomtom gps before investing in a new one only if the old one does not fit.
I am planning to get the bmw head protectors and panniers plastic protectors to prevent much more expensive damage as I guess the bike would be resting on those if it is dropped?
Are the case liners worth the expense?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think you will discover the TomTom is a no go fit wise.  You can get good pannier protection from Halfords for £10. They are bumper protectors but are the correct length for the panniers. 
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

RTman10 wrote: Think you will discover the TomTom is a no go fit wise. You can get good pannier protection from Halfords for £10. They are bumper protectors but are the correct length for the panniers.
I have no idea how the panniers protectors look like as I could not find any picture anywhere on the bmw promotional literature....... are they just a plain plastic rub strip?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I didn't fit them but my bike has clear protection on the pannier lids. Its just like 3M, but it isn't obvious, you can just feel a ridge around the edges if you look closely. So don't know if BMW or after market, but does stop scuffs on top of the bags
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The BMW site doesn't show the pannier protectors but does show the head guards. They make a clear protector for the painted tops and a stick on rubber one that goes on the bottom half of the black part of the lid. I have never bothered with the top bits and have owned this type of pannier of 5 years now without causing any damage to the lids by the occasional kick. The bottom ones I think are expensive for what they are and as I said earlier I have Halford ones fitted. I can confirm they work as do the head protectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Halfords bottom pannier protectors.  Chrome strip shown originated from the 1600 GTL and also protect the painted bit in a scuff.
Attachments
image.png
jon23505

Post by jon23505 »

http://bmwdean.com/2015-r1200rt.htm

Read this fantastic review
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

jon23505 wrote: http://bmwdean.com/2015-r1200rt.htm

I did read that and all the other reviews I could find, that's why I'm tempted to buy one! The bottom line was always: not a screamer, but quick enough and one of the best, if not the best, tourer on the market. :-)

The reason why I've asked the question in the first place was the hope to hear from someone that has ridden both the r1200rt and the k1300s extensively.

Is the navigator V worth the expense?
Any other bmw accessory I should definitely consider?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

jon23505 wrote: http://bmwdean.com/2015-r1200rt.htm

yeah - and just think how impressed he'd have been if both his bikes hadn't been such terrible colours...

:beee:
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

Well, bronze rt is on order and will be delivered in a couple of weeks! I believe that being this year's new colour, bronze is also the fastest and best handling one. :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

At least the rust will blend in  :)