CTEK Battery Charger

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest3459

CTEK Battery Charger

Post by guest3459 »

Guys
Does anyone use a CTEK charger with the BMW fitment to plug into the bike - I have just got the fitment from motorworks - plugged in and for the 1st time ever my CTEK is showing fault light

Any ideas gratefully accepted
thanks
guest2360

Re: CTEK Battery Charger

Post by guest2360 »

Probably not Canbus/Linbus compatible. You could cause damage.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

GrahamAb wrote:Does anyone use a CTEK charger.
Which CTEK charger have you got.

Have you tried connecting the charger directly to the battery.

This thread on Battery Chargers may be helpful, https://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1169.0.html
Last edited by David. on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

As RTman10 says check if it is Canbus enabled. If it isn't it will not work via the aux socket. Canbus enabled chargers talk to the system to keep the aux socket live so you can use it to charge the battery. Otherwise after turning the bike off and after a short delay the aux sockets get disabled.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Even better idea.  Buy the one made for the bike.  A bit expensive but you will never have a flat battery and your £100+ battery will last an age.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The optimate 4 which is canbus enabled also works fine. Mine is happily connected to the bike by the aux outlet. And you can always stick a BMW sticker on it, if it makes you feel better  :)
guest3459

Post by guest3459 »

Thanks guys - another 'joy' of BMW ownership  ;)
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Lots of people (me included) just connect the charger direct to the battery to a socket permanently wired through a fused lead. Once a month or so overnight if bike not getting much use. Done this on all my canbus bikes (7). Never had a problem or a flat battery. Can use the socket to power a compressor or heated kit etc etc.
The service manager at my local dealership advised against leaving any charger attached for long periods. Said they could always tell as the internal plates distorted, or some such, can't remember exactly.
My charger is a £25 Halford's Maintenance charger. Thankyou.
Chris
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you have a quality conditioner such as an Optimate or correct CTEK, having it connected all the time does the battery no damage at all. The conditioner exercises the battery and keeps it in top condition. I have kept my bikes connected when not in use for years at a time and up to now have never had any ill effects. Did the same to my race cars as well. Best just read up and make your own assessment  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your Service manager is right.  No matter what blurb is on the box chargers should never be left on for extended periods.  Them that do and get away with it are just lucky.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Just call me lucky Rob then  :)  Best I go unplug my two bikes now, in case my luck runs out tonight! Like I said, do your own research, make your own decisions.
iRider

Post by iRider »

Same routine after each ride. I wash and dry the bike, put it in the garage and connect it to one of these until the next ride..
http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... 0wody8YNvA

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

iRider wrote: Same routine after each ride. I wash and dry the bike, put it in the garage and connect it to one of these until the next ride..
http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw-battery-charger-for-motorcycles-even-with-can-bus-electronic.html?LGWCODE=3362;86700;4971&gclid=CNaS8Pu3_8oCFeYK0wody8YNvA

You must be one of the lucky ones as well  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's the one I've got with the UK plug in it. I know the book says it can be left on but as it fully charges the battery within just a few hours I see no point in leaving it on. My bike stood for nearly 3 months due to the shock recall in 14. The battery went down only 15% in all that time.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Must be lucky too. ;)