2014 RT LC Service cost?.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: 2014 RT LC Service cost?.

Post by Sullivj »

circlehappenork wrote: Bahnstormer Alton. Also they make short videos of what they've done

I like the video idea. All too often, you never get to hear from the actual technician.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's not just BMW that change the brake fluid after 1 year, so do some car manufacturers.  Mine does anyway.  But what's the big deal.  Nothing more important than brakes.  Barnstormers video your service , seems a bit extreme as you should be given a service sheet and if you don't trust them to do what's shown you shouldn't have gone there in the first place.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Barnstormers video your service , seems a bit extreme as you should be given a service sheet and if you don't trust them to do what's shown you shouldn't have gone there in the first place.

You're getting cynical in your old age!

I like the Bahnstormers video... :) :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This video.  Is there one for each service or just one.  And yes.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: This video.  Is there one for each service or just one.

No, they just send the same one to everybody.  It's cheaper that way...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Good plan. Does it show what oil they are using as this would date the copy down to about a 6 month period.
And don't discard any you have for your RT.  XR uses the same.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
Good plan. Does it show what oil they are using as this would date the copy down to about a 6 month period.

I'm sure they only use the best oil.  Did we ever decide what that is?

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Whatever they told us to use yesterday and hopefully tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

Sorry for late reply, not enough time.
RTman10 wrote: This video.  Is there one for each service or just one.
Yes, a video per service.

RTman10 wrote:[/size]Does it show what oil they are using as this would date the copy down to about a 6 month period.
Of course they do not tell anything valuable, but they still need to give you sheet with things that have been done and they do that.

I've serviced not long time ago at 12k, cost me £391. Additionally they've snapped one of the cylinder head bolt and had to go there again...
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

If at 2 years old the bike has only done 6,000 miles would the service be the same as the first year service or would it be a 12,000 mile service (on a 12,000 miles or two years, whichever is the sooner basis)?
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steveeung wrote: If at 2 years old the bike has only done 6,000 miles would the service be the same as the first year service or would it be a 12,000 mile service (on a 12,000 miles or two years, whichever is the sooner basis)?

Annual service is the same. So its annual or 6k, 6k service is the same as the annual service. The 12k service is different as they check the valve clearances. So in my case, (bought the bike a year ago with 2.5k on the clock) had an annual service at 3k in Jan 2016. 3k later the bike then showed it was requiring a 6k service. As the service is the same, had an argument with the dealer who wanted to change all the oils again. Got over that and basically had a check and the service indicator reset. So not service should have been 9k or annual. My bike is now on 8k and is going in today for its annual. I will then take it back of the 12k value bits later in the year.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

IMO, the bike would be due an annual service, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17GVF ... ZrVGs/view.
This would include, an oil change in rear bevel gears, due every two years.

A 12,000 miles service, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17GVF ... 5jOVU/view includes items due on a mileage basis.
These items are, checking valve clearance, replace all spark plugs & replace air filter cartridge, not due at 6,000 miles.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A sensible dealer will decide what a bike needs to get it to the next 6K or 12 months without any further service.  On a 3 year old bike with 8 or 9 K on I would expect them to complete the 12K bits.  This will be a lot less expensive than returning after just a couple of months to get them done.  The service light should always reset itself 6K ahead when the bike is plugged in for the service check.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"The computer says".

Why check/change mileage related items well before they are due. I'd do them myself & take the bike back a year later for an annual service.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What's the point of hanging onto 2 plugs and a filter for a couple of K when you can do it all in one visit and save some service time on top.