2014 RT LC Service cost?.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: 2014 RT LC Service cost?.

Post by Our Gee »

My brother in law runs a BMW car which he has had from new. It's now covered around 50,000 miles and is the same age as my bike. Nothing has failed which required replacement under warranty. All he has paid out for is servicing and tyres. My 2013 RT has covered 18,000 miles and has required replacement Final Drive and, Footrest Hanger (paint defects). Left Side Handlebar Combination Switch replaced three times. Right side Handlebar Switch replaced once. My previous RT, a Hexhead, required a list of replacement parts which is too long to mention here. BMW are very good at sorting out failed components (well, most of the time they are) but I do wish that build quality was better in the first place.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Our Gee wrote: My brother in law runs a BMW car which he has had from new. It's now covered around 50,000 miles and is the same age as my bike. Nothing has failed which required replacement under warranty. All he has paid out for is servicing and tyres. My 2013 RT has covered 18,000 miles and has required replacement Final Drive and, Footrest Hanger (paint defects). Left Side Handlebar Combination Switch replaced three times. Right side Handlebar Switch replaced once. My previous RT, a Hexhead, required a list of replacement parts which is too long to mention here. BMW are very good at sorting out failed components (well, most of the time they are) but I do wish that build quality was better in the first place.

Completely agree.  To be fair, I guess it is more difficult to build bikes that are as robust and/or maintenance-free as modern cars are - there's just so much more of a bike's componentry that's exposed to the weather.  That said, it can't be that hard to paint things properly...

:-\
wbrenner

Post by wbrenner »

My 12000 mile service was $910.  The only fluid changed was the oil.  About $275 of the service was for the valve check - $125 for labor and $150 for the two gaskets.  Rear brake pads and new Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs were in addition, bringing the total to $1410.
Non riders will comment that I save money on gasoline by riding a motorcycle.  I inform them of the maintenance costs that go with motorcycle ownership.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

wbrenner wrote: My 12000 mile service was $910.  The only fluid changed was the oil.  About $275 of the service was for the valve check - $125 for labor and $150 for the two gaskets.  Rear brake pads and new Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs were in addition, bringing the total to $1410.
Non riders will comment that I save money on gasoline by riding a motorcycle.  I inform them of the maintenance costs that go with motorcycle ownership.
I will bet that the valves did not even need adjustment.  My local BMW shop told me they have yet to see a RTW that needed valve adjustment.  Perhaps BMW needs to revisit that requirement...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Could be right there. I have just completed my 24K service and the valves were all within mid range of specification. Will check them at 36k but I doubt there will be much change.
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

I have had my 18k miles service done a month ago. Cost: £153. Just the oil change from what I can see on the invoice.
But absolutely not happy with the service and reliability of the bike. I have made a comment about that here: Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?