cylinder head protection bars?.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rocket Tim

cylinder head protection bars?.

Post by Rocket Tim »

Hi guys.
Can anyone help me on this subject please, I am looking at engine protection bars for my 2016 RT, (I know you may have discussed bars in the past),but when I have looked at the bars and the way they have been attach to the engine they do not seem to be load bearing, so even if it was to slide over gently the bars would move and bend the mounting points where they are on the engine, this would in turn would move the bar over and damage the cylinder head casing or plastics.
Quite hard to exactly say what I mean, but if you have looked at them through a mechanical brain, you will see what I mean.
I fitted the front protection bars to my Rocket 111 but not the rear ones, because they had no mechanical strength in the brackets fitting them to the rear of the bike.
I see they do cylinder head covers which may be stronger and actually protect better then poorly mounted bars.
So what make do I need to buy?.
guest2360

Re: cylinder head protection bars?.

Post by guest2360 »

Cylinder protection kit.  They are high quality, you hardly notice they are there and they do the job. Got them on mine.  The only alternative is the Forth Bridge route and double the weight of the bike..
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree the BMW cylinder head kit is neat and does the job. Just persuaded a friend of mine who has bought a RS to get them fitted instead of bars. However if you want to mount additional lights then maybe the bar type kit would be better. Don't have additional lights on mine so not sure how these are fitted maybe someone else on the forum could help. The neat cylinder head protectors the metal ones do work. I know once dropped a GS and the bike did a nice 180 degree spin on the cylinder head. Picked the bike up, headed to my BMW dealer, bought a replacement borrowed their tools and fitted it. No damage to cylinder head.
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

Anyone else supply these apart from BMW ?
Dave F
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Could look at these http://www.nippynormans.com/products/mudsling-xheads-exclusive/orderAZ/page2

I think they are more expensive than the BMW ones.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Givi make these, looks like they are available from Hornig, https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... cover.html

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The Givi ones, being made of aluminium ain't going to give much protection.  BMW ones are stainless steel with very dense rubber up against the head which includes a replaceable strip,on the outside .
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW ones do look nice & blend in with the lines of the Valve Cover itself.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thats what I like about them. You don't notice them. Bling without the bling if you know what I mean.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Givi ones are also designed for use combined with the stainless steel crash bar on a GS, they do look a bit agricultural.

Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

What sort of wedge for the original BMW ones , anyone know ?
Dave F
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I was charged approx £140 by Lovetts in Bristol. Yes, they are subtle and extremely practical bits of bling!
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

I have BMW covers fitted to mine and, as I dropped it off the side stand the other day, I am grateful that I have.

It was a very slow drop from not a great height as the bike was lent over anyway but there is a small scuff in it. Rather that than the cylinder head itself.
Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
Lifer

Post by Lifer »

Yesterday I ordered the X-Heads from Nippy Norman.

And I ordered the Wunderlich Engine Protection Bar today.

You might look at those.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaygloDavid wrote: The BMW ones do look nice & blend in with the lines of the Valve Cover itself.

I have these too.  Afraid I think the bars (any of them) just spoil the looks of the bike far too much.  If I'd wanted to ride round on a piece of scaffolding, I'd have bought an Explorer...