high beams

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
turdboman

high beams

Post by turdboman »

any thoughts on using high beams in the day time ?
Gman1969

Re: high beams

Post by Gman1969 »

Personally I find it irritating and unnecessary speaking from a car driver and a biker
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Gman1969 wrote: Personally I find it irritating and unnecessary speaking from a car driver and a biker
+1

And here in the UK although not specifically illegal, you could get points for driving without due care and consideration,
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

On this side of the pond, most ride with their brights on in daylight has we have so many distracted drivers, their is a term triangle of visibility, brights and Photon Blasters create this. At night low beams
I've often thought if a locomotive headlamp could be installed I would be the first
Jim
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Benchmark wrote: +1
And here in the UK although not specifically illegal, you could get points for driving without due care and consideration,
There is a specific offence of causing unnecessary dazzle, £50, no points!
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Gman1969 wrote: Personally I find it irritating and unnecessary speaking from a car driver and a biker
+1 its just unnecessary in my view, Peter
Little-Brit

Post by Little-Brit »

It's just inconsiderate, bordering on rude.  No need to do it especially with the very effective LED running lights.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

7vwh wrote:There is a specific offence of causing unnecessary dazzle, £50, no points!
Does the same apply to using front or rear fog lights in normal visibility (day or night) conditions.
Last edited by David. on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Yes specific offences for both front and rear foglights, only to be used in reduced visibility day or night.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

step2534 wrote:   Yes specific offences for both front and rear foglights, only to be used in reduced visibility day or night.
Just a shame due to cut backs that traffic dept's have shrunk over the years  :(
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

DaygloDavid wrote: Does the same apply to using front or rear fog lights in normal visibility (day or night) conditions.
It's harder to prove the dazzle element during daylight, especially on a sunny day, night time is a different matter, especially in the wet!
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

I think it is very inconsiderate to use high beams in the daytime and dazzle oncoming drivers/riders, I flash my lights several times and then leave them on full beam if oncoming vehicles do it to me. It's a shame the police don't enforce the rules of the road a bit more. 
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

the cars are now equipped with auto dip headlights hopefully the bikes will be the same soon that should stop the tossers from dazzling you when they are coming towards you :wonder: 
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

futterweasel wrote: the cars are now equipped with auto dip headlights hopefully the bikes will be the same soon that should stop the tossers from dazzling you when they are coming towards you :wonder:
Hope they can come up with a auto-switch off for front and rear fog lights when the visability is over 100m
People seem to use their front fogs all the time, regardless of weather conditions
iride4u

Post by iride4u »

I ride with the low beams and the LED fog lamps on at all times. This gives a good triangle. The K1600 has Clearwaters set at 50% as not to blind someone the RTP has BMW LEDs.