BT intercom

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Levisp

Re: BT intercom

Post by Levisp »

The other option with Autocom is to buy the BT module that fits inside the Autocom box and run the whole unit on good quality rechargeable batteries. You now have a fully portable unit. I put mine in a small tank bag. Works very well and the batteries seem to last for ages. Very easy to carry a spare set and obviously no expense of bike installation. I did this because I only have one helmet but have two bikes. Fitting  two wired Autocoms to two bikes was too expensive.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Autocom do a Bike Power Lead for use when the hub is in a tank bag.

AUTOCOM 12 Volt Remote Powered Bike Power Loom 2429
Ideal if you have more than 1 bike. You would need one for each bike.
http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products/AU ... 9/215.html

AUTOCOM 12 Volt Remote Powered Bike Power Lead 2430
Must be used with part 2429
http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products/AU ... 0/216.html

Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:The other option with Autocom is to buy the BT module that fits inside the Autocom box.
Bluetooth Module (Internal for Logic units only) BTM-02-L
http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/Autocom-M ... odule-6016

Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Autocom 2427 Direct Bike Power Lead could be fitted with a plug for use with the Aux. Sockets on the likes of an RT or other Bikes.

http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/Autocom-M ... -Lead-3868

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Nice pics David. One advantage of batteries is that if riding solo you can store unit in your jacket and be totally unattached to the bike or pillion.  For me the ultimate solution would be if Autocom made their unit with built in BT on the main motherboard and provision for rechargeable batteries and external power socket. You could then charge unit from power lead and have the choice of battery or bike power. Now that would be one neat unit.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Thank you.  Scala kit.  Prices are off this world and a second helmet kit at £70 would be a non starter for me.  Let's hope at these prices they have sorted the wet weather problems out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure Scala have any wet weather problems. When mine packed up not sure it was attributed to the rain. Normally if something stops when it is wet, when it dries out it will work again. My problem was, it would still work, but showed red lights which normally shows when charging, then they go out. Mine never went out, so I never knew if it was charged or not. After 6 years of service, it was time for an upgrade anyway. My wife module is still fine and I now use it as a spare for my other helmet if my son comes along. Like I said the flexibility for using on any bike is good for me and also if I ride pillion with any mates, most have BT and we can all connect.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Some really great information here and well timed for me as I'm in the process of setting up a satnav and communication system. Previously I used a starcom digital wired device, initially with the standard headset and then the impressive neck mics. However I had issues with interference which was never fully eliminated but likely caused by inducted noise from a coil or something. I also had a few issuers where the pillion forgot to disconnect when getting off the bike, pulled wiring out of the helmet and in the worst case bending connector pins. So looking at my 2006 RT I could have re-used my Starcom system but want to move away from cabling and use BT. Having finally deciding to power my Garmin 660 via a Nav V cradle (fitting today) I will connect with my BT solution of choice. Likely to be Scala Q1 or Sena 10. I really like the idea of the UClear HBC non boom device which has the microphone in the ear piece, using milatary grade noise cancellation. However I've not come across anybody using it?
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just had a quick look at the Uclear web site.  I would be suspicious of the phrase "suitable for motorcycle helmets".  I prefer made for motorcycle helmets.
Whem BMW first decided to do Bluetooth headsets they made it with the mic located in the front of the helmet rim.  Not a great distance from your mouth.  Obviously not VOX  as that requires the mic to be close to your mouth.  It didn't work and they were recalled and scrapped.  having the mic in the main unit ain't going to be a great hit as that cannot be VOX either. Maybe someone out there has tried it
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: Just had a quick look at the Uclear web site.  I would be suspicious of the phrase "suitable for motorcycle helmets".  I prefer made for motorcycle helmets.
Whem BMW first decided to do Bluetooth headsets they made it with the mic located in the front of the helmet rim.  Not a great distance from your mouth.  Obviously not VOX  as that requires the mic to be close to your mouth.  It didn't work and they were recalled and scrapped.  having the mic in the main unit ain't going to be a great hit as that cannot be VOX either. Maybe someone out there has tried it

Yes, I think your summary is spot on. I'll likely go for the 'new' Sena 10s which ticks all my box's and really moves the BT on with increased battery life, audio quality and connectivity all controlled via your smart phone. Looks like my Starcom digital will be appearing on eBay sometime soon!
Richwill

Post by Richwill »

Casbar: " don't have system helmets, they don't fit my head shape "... What is a system helmut mean?  Thanks.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Can't find his quote but a system helmet is what BMW call a flip up type.  They brought out the first one in the late 70s I think.  They have made 9 versions over that period, all with a different fit. 
charliektm400exc

Post by charliektm400exc »

RTman10 wrote: Just had a quick look at the Uclear web site.  I would be suspicious of the phrase "suitable for motorcycle helmets".  I prefer made for motorcycle helmets.

I have a set of Sena SMH10's and I have replaced them with the Uclear HBC200's

The Uclear's fit and work fine in our helmets. The micless system works fine, except the first fraction of the word gets cut off. I changed because I wanted the noise cancelling technology which works well. it's hard to hear the speakers at speed, but I suspect that's because I haven't put the speakers in the right spot. I had similar issues with hearing the Sena's. The noise cancelling is much better on the Uclear, but other then that they seem about the same.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

so above what speed can't you hear anything?
charliektm400exc

Post by charliektm400exc »

RTman10 wrote: so above what speed can't you hear anything?

It depends on how clearly the person on the other end is prepared to speak. I think it's ok up to legal speed limits.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Well after all this chat I've ordered a pair of Scala Packtalks, I like the phone app that comes with it which allows you to adjust all the settings in a very clear manner. I have also ordered a bluetooth module called a Bird 1, this connects physically to my Kenwood 3101allowing PMR comms, this and a Bluetooth PTT should cut down the cables a bit. This setup will allow me to communicate with my 10 fellow riders for essential information such as, leg/bum stretch, pee, fuel ( one of whom has always had less range than the BMWs). I bought my Autocom in 2011 and it is still very good but every so often a cable needs replacing and the DIN plugs wear after a period of time. Time to try some new tech.