Need LED Fog Light Suggestions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Lifer

Need LED Fog Light Suggestions

Post by Lifer »

I would like to install LED fog lights on my 2016 RT.

I read that Halogen lights are less expensive but pull too much power.  Therefore the GIVI S310 would not be acceptable.  They look nice... and the price is good... but they draw too much power.

I would like to mount the LED lights on a Wunderlich engine protection bar.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
kiki

Re: Need LED Fog Light Suggestions

Post by kiki »

I will be mounting a set of Clearwater Darla lights on my 2016 RT. There are different mounting options, including the ones you choose. I will be using the BMW brackets that the OEM factory driving lamps use. The Darla lights are 25mm diameter and similar in size to the OEM driving lamps that BMW offers as an optional accessory.
They are , however, MUCH brighter. I have used Denali DX high powered LED lamps on my K1600, and i liked them a lot, but they are 1/2 the output of the Darlas (800 lumens vs 2000 per light) and the DArla's also come with the CANopener electronic integration specifically for our bikes which allows control of the output using the bike's own switchgear.

The downside -- they are very expensive.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why not fit the BMW ones?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Why not fit the BMW ones?

Because the switches aren't waterproof!!

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The Clearwater lights do look good. I like the smaller ones mounted on the lower forks. Show us some pics when you have yours fitted.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:
Because the switches aren't waterproof!!
Only on yours probably
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

yeah - twice!
Lifer

Post by Lifer »

kiki wrote: I will be mounting a set of Clearwater Darla lights on my 2016 RT. There are different mounting options, including the ones you choose. I will be using the BMW brackets that the OEM factory driving lamps use. The Darla lights are 25mm diameter and similar in size to the OEM driving lamps that BMW offers as an optional accessory.
They are , however, MUCH brighter. I have used Denali DX high powered LED lamps on my K1600, and i liked them a lot, but they are 1/2 the output of the Darlas (800 lumens vs 2000 per light) and the DArla's also come with the CANopener electronic integration specifically for our bikes which allows control of the output using the bike's own switchgear.
The downside -- they are very expensive.
$649 for the lights, $50 for the postage, plus German sales and import taxes makes the lights about $825.

That is just too much.

Still looking for an affordable LED alternative
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Surly proper BMW ones won't cost that much.  Their downside is you can't have them on with your DRL on as BNW reckon the two together will blind oncoming drivers. mind you over there they might cost as much as the bike.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Lifer wrote: $649 for the lights, $50 for the postage, plus German sales and import taxes makes the lights about $825.

That is just too much.

Still looking for an affordable LED alternative
I think, for what you get, $800 is still a good price. However, there is an excellent site that i will direct you to where they do evaluations of different classes of equipment. For note, OZ USA makes a set of decent lights for $49. Here is a link to the driving lights section.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/

Webbikeworld has been an invaluable and unbiased source of info for me for many years. Under the lights section there are some options that you may want to consider. Some of them are reasonably priced, and the review can tell you if its worth spending your money on.
Royso

Post by Royso »

What about these, I fitted them to my own 2014 LC and they are a good job:-

The Wunderlich Micro-Flooters greatly improve night time visibility. The lights put out 55 watts each and use conventional H3 headlight bulbs. The reflectors create a very wide light pattern while increasing light output far down the road.Features:* Very good additional lighting.* Many tests have shown that these auxiliary lights are among the best on the market.* Soft light/dark boundary.* Optimal illumination of the road edge.* Extremely robust.* Includes H3 bulbs 55 Watts each.[font=Arial]* Sold as a set of two, including bulbs, wiring, electrics, brackets and complete fitting kit.[font=Arial][font=Arial]The kit includes two lights, two laser cut and anodized aluminum mounts and light covers also in aluminium, a custom wiring harness for the R1200RT LC, and an illuminated switch. They connect to the parking light wire, this means they will come on if any light is on and the switch is also in the "on" position.[font=Arial]Can be hard wired to bike or into the OE accessory socket [font=Arial]Full fitting instructions ensure easy fitment.

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Royso, could you zoom in on the mounting bracket for these lights please? My reason for asking is that I had these microflooters fitted on my previous Beemer, a K13GT, and naturally, mounting brackets are unique to the bike model! Therefore, I need modified brackets for my current LC RT. As you say, a very good accessory they are too. My only dislike with the kit was the green coloured plastic ON/OFF rocker switch, primarily because the switch was not waterproof!! I had a moan at Wunderlich who promptly sent me another........plastic non-waterproof rocker switch!! That aside, the lights were great, hence my renewed interest in fitting them on the RT, but with a waterproof switch!
Lifer

Post by Lifer »

Steve F wrote: hence my renewed interest in fitting them on the RT, but with a waterproof switch!
Wunderlich lights are $450 here.

But the description does not mention water proof switch.

Has anyone got BMW fog lights?  Are they any good?
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Had the BMW LEDs on my GTL and they were great, having them fitted on my new RT as well. On a previous GS TwinCam I fitted a pair of Halfords/ Ring Halogens and changed the bulbs for Ebay cheapo Chinese LED bulbs, they worked well as the Ring lights have a glass lens. Sometimes I can be a bit cheap though, I'm told.
iride4u

Post by iride4u »

I will be using the BMW LEDs on my RTP do to the integration with the rest of the lights. On my K1600 I have Clearwater Darlas and Ericas with a Canopener. The Clearwater package is far better then the BMW LEDs or the Denalis that were on my KLR.