General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Electrical connector

Post by David. »

futterweasel wrote:My Autocom has a built in bt module.
Which Autocom unit have you got with built in BT.
Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products/AU ... 7/214.html
"Required for the new liquid cooled BMW's as the can-bus system will continue to supply power when it detects are power draw despite the ignition being off."
Not true. The pic showing Autocom connection done by BMW dealer is my bike. It includes a BTM02 Bluetooth dongle. It immediately switches off when the Linbus system shuts down about 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. No interference at all and a saving of £25.00. Probably worth using it if your doing it yourself. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:The pic showing Autocom connection done by BMW dealer is my bike. It includes a BTM02 Bluetooth dongle.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

chappers2a wrote:Are you confusing the Autocom with the Starcom which does switch off when headset is disconnected? I wasn't aware that Autocom had this feature.
My interpretation of these Autocom instructions http://autocom.co.uk/pdfdocs/Active%20P ... ctions.pdf is,
"when used as a portable with an internal battery the system remains automatically switched off unless a headset is plugged into the riders headset lead."

If this is the case when "Bike Powered", why would Autocom recommend using a "Switched Live".
Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It Stays dead when it's bike powered until the riders headset is plugged in, honest. Doesn't really matter if it's properly wired up though as the bike shuts it down anyway. Dead easy to check, Just talk to each other after you switch off but be quick.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'm now confused.com, if when "Bike Powered", the Autocom unit, "stays dead until the riders headset is plugged in" & "turns itself off when you unplug your headset",
why not just make the installation simple & bolt it directly to the +ve & -ve on the Battery.
Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Most of them have something else plugged into them when installed, GPS, Bluetooth , audio units. There's always a possibility that these could keep a unit alive if connected directly to the battery as many have discovered.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Which Autocom unit have you got with built in BT.
Looks like it could be one of these, http://autocom.co.uk/PDF/BluetoothModules.pdf
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:Most of them have something else plugged into them when installed, GPS, Bluetooth , audio units. There's always a possibility that these could keep a unit alive if connected directly to the battery as many have discovered.
Very true, "The 12V supply must be ignition switched, so that the BTM-02 (Bluetooth) supply is off when the vehicle ignition if OFF else the vehicle battery may be drained."

POWERING THE BLUETOOTH MODULE, http://autocom.co.uk/pdfdocs/BTM02AManual.pdf
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I had the built in Bluetooth module that fitted in the first generation of the Logic units, think it was about 2009. although very tidy it didn't work as well as the current BTM02 module which was originally a BTM01 rebadged from a Starcom module.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Originally, I successfully used an Autocom Active Plus with a BTM-02A to Bluetooth with a Garmin Zumo 220.

Upgraded to an Autocom Logic (2011),  hardwired to a Garmin Zumo 660.

Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

DaygloDavid wrote: Which Autocom unit have you got with built in BT.

Hi, thanks for all the replies, I have a logic l2 with a btm-02l internal blutooth module which I purchased to replace an active-plus with a plugin bluetooth module part No 1273 this is quite old but still works fine on the rt giving audio/satnav and of course intercom rider to pillion, I am updating to reduce clutter under the seat, when the headset is unplugged the unit and bluetooth module power down so there is no current draw. I have a rear power socket fitted so unless I splice/cut through the insulation on the feed wire[something I don't want to do] that is out of the question as this could allow moisture and corrosion in. I have purchased a spare cap for the round connector under the pillion seat and intend to drill a small hole in this to feed the power wire through sealing it with silicone this should make a nice watertight connection. I will earth to the subframe. I have sourced a small round female connector that is a nice snug fit over the live pin, I am going down this route as I wish for the intercom to work when the headset's are plugged in regardless of whether the ignition is on or off. I prefer the autocom to wireless bluetooth systems as I have had the cardo scala system before but the batteries are not replaceable so after two to three years the system is scrap [ie disposable, does not say that on the box]  you also have to carry a charger if away for more than a day. I will post an update once it is all installed to let you know if it all works/catches fire or drains the battery but this will be a few weeks from now cheers,
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Autocom BTM 02 LOGIC Stereo Bluetooth Module

Autocom part no 1273 - Bluetooth Adaptor

Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for your reply Simon, I now understand what set up you wish to have & that because the BT Module is an integral part of the Logic Hub,
the action of plugging in or unplugging the headset, powers up or down the unit as a whole.
Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Still wondering what the live pin in the round plug is for [see post one] any ideas?