Tank Ring mounted tank bag with Keyless fuel Cap

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
kiki

Tank Ring mounted tank bag with Keyless fuel Cap

Post by kiki »

So i was getting ready to choose between one of the 3 systems (SW Motech, Hepco and Becker, Givi) when someone mentioned on another board that they had some difficulty mounting a "tank ring" base onto a fuel cap when a keyless system is installed on a bike.
First question -- has anyone mounted one on their key-less bike ? if so-- which one, and were there any hiccups?
Secondly, for the tank mount systems in general; i have seen the Hepco city bag on a LCRT, which looks excellent , but if anyone could post up pics of other bags or systems .
Assuming one of the systems will work on my bike, i am going with a tank mount, so although i like strapped bags, that's not in the cards right now.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Tank Ring mounted tank bag with Keyless fuel Cap

Post by richardbd »

kiki wrote: So i was getting ready to choose between one of the 3 systems (SW Motech, Hepco and Becker, Givi) when someone mentioned on another board that they had some difficulty mounting a "tank ring" base onto a fuel cap when a keyless system is installed on a bike.
First question -- has anyone mounted one on their key-less bike ? if so-- which one, and were there any hiccups?
Secondly, for the tank mount systems in general; i have seen the Hepco city bag on a LCRT, which looks excellent , but if anyone could post up pics of other bags or systems .
Assuming one of the systems will work on my bike, i am going with a tank mount, so although i like strapped bags, that's not in the cards right now.

Don't know about keyless RT but I had SW Motech system on my keyless Multistrada - no problems...
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Hi Kiki
Sorry can't help with the keyless issue but I have the sw motech daypack. I am pleased with it and the locking system, handy to store cameras and the things you want without having to get off bike to go into panniers. See picture.
Attachments
image.jpeg
kiki

Post by kiki »

Bertie wrote: Hi Kiki
Sorry can't help with the keyless issue but I have the sw motech daypack. I am pleased with it and the locking system, handy to store cameras and the things you want without having to get off bike to go into panniers. See picture.
That is helpful regardless, thank you. I think i will go with the SW Motech bag, simply because it is slightly less expensive here in canada and I have had good luck in the past with the brand. My worry is around the ring size, but from what i can gather, it is the same size as the normal "key" -- so i will roll the dice.
Regarding your bag, i wanted to ask how much clearance you have at full lock left or right turn. I like the daypack, but i was considering going up one size to the "Engage" , but i want to make sure there is enough room.

thanks!
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Hi kiki
The position the bag is mounted in the photo does not impede the steering lock at all. I positioned it so the handle bars just miss the bag on either lock.
I was fortunate that I had a dealer near by who stocked the complete range and let me drop each bag on the tank to compare, I did consider the "engage" but didn't require the extra space. If I can help any further please ask.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I have the SW-Motech Ion bag with the tank ring, and it doesn't interfere with my keyless ride in any way.
kiki

Post by kiki »

mercator1 wrote: I have the SW-Motech Ion bag with the tank ring, and it doesn't interfere with my keyless ride in any way.
Yes-- since posting this i contacted twisted throttle, the canadian sales centre, and they indicated that there is a special ring for the keyless system. Ring #306, i believe (its on its way as i type this), whereas the conventional bike uses ring #126.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

That may be just marketing. When I traded my 2005 model for the new 2015,  I kept the same tank bag. I got that new ring for my keyless system, but left the same mating adapter on the bag. I didn't change it out. The old bag with the old adapter clicks write down on the new ring. I think the old ring and new ring may actually be the same.
kiki

Post by kiki »

mercator1 wrote: That may be just marketing. When I traded my 2005 model for the new 2015,  I kept the same tank bag. I got that new ring for my keyless system, but left the same mating adapter on the bag. I didn't change it out. The old bag with the old adapter clicks write down on the new ring. I think the old ring and new ring may actually be the same.
That may be the case, however the keyless ring is actually less expensive than the other
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

I am getting my new RT in a few days…trying to understand the Tank bag issues….I guess I shouldn't use my older Magnet bags…???
I'm getting the keyless bike, so what does the "Ring" means ??? How is it attached ??
Thank you,
V.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Ahh -- you'll love your bike
The 2014-2016 have plastic tank "covers", so "magnetic base" tank bags don't work. BMW offers a conventional strap bag, so that there are 2 straps in the front and 2 in the back that attach to hard points on the bike. When you need to fuel up , or perhaps to remove the bag for security, there are quick release clips on the 4 straps.
However, even a tightly strapped bag can vibrate around and cause mild scuffing on the tank. Plus some don't like the strap system for looks or convenience.

A few years ago "tank ring" bags came on the market. Basically a plastic or metal "ring" bolts onto the metal part around your fuel filler cover. A special line of tank bags in turn clip onto this "ring" for a simple and secure form of attachment. The bag sits up off the tank so no worries of scratching, and it detaches with a pull of a lever. Very slick.

BTW-- i have a keyless RT as well

Here is a link to a video(this is the one i used). Each bike uses a different base "ring" to bolt onto the fuel cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtb4rEcBAic

kiki

Post by kiki »

If you are shopping for as SW Motech bag, make sure you purchase the correct line of rings/bags combo. Mine initially came with the wrong ring -- ION bags need ION rings, and EVO bags need EVO rings -- the 2 systems don't intermingle
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

Thank you very much…didn't see the tank bag video,,,but there are others important videos… ;D  saw it somewhere lease,,,doesn't it cause damage to the fuel cover after some time…??
kiki

Post by kiki »

I used one for 2 years on my adventure bike (and i beat that thing to death) -- the most pristine part of the bike when i sold it was the fuel cap-- haha!
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

What is the best place to get it in Canada?