Throttle modes?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rusty-pie

Throttle modes?

Post by Rusty-pie »

The LC RT owner's manual states that in the road riding mode the throttle response is direct, ie no damping, and that when dynamic mode is selected the throttle response  is "Dynamic"....... What does it mean exactly? More direct than direct? ??? ?
Last edited by Rusty-pie on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Throttle modes?

Post by guest2360 »

Hang on in Dynamic.  To me Road and Dynamic have the same feel, it's just on Dynamic it's feels much more responsive.  Rain mode on the other hand has a more more gentle rubbery feel to it.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Still awaiting my RT but on my previous  1600GTL, dynamic definitely felt more responsive than Road even though it is supposed to be the same, ie max, power output. I understand that the safety systems, ABS and Stability control, are set to come into play a little later in Dynamic and a little earlier in Rain.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think it's the Stability/traction control that changes.  On the 1600 it talked about being able to leave black lines in Dynamic.
Rusty-pie

Post by Rusty-pie »

Still awaiting to collect my new RT too.........
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Forget what cables felt like.  The response from the engine is immediate to any movement of the throttle in all but Rain mode. Many find this takes a bit of getting used to. I know quite a few owners who switch to Rain when in heavy traffic in town as it's much easier to move very slowly smoothly.  After a while you forget about it. can't remember and it's too cold to go out and find out but the modes will change your damping settings.  Think Dynamic swaps you to Hard.  Once you are in the mode you want you can reset the damping to what you want. It's not a system I continually play with, you tend to,put into the one that suites your style and leave it.  Pope for instance says he leave it in Dynamic permanently, brave lad.  I use Road most of the time but occasionally use Rain in challenging weather conditions.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

This isn't been negative (well it probably is) but don't you think in all reality that all these different driving modes are taking skills away from the rider ??

Surely your right hand controls speed and how you apply it.

Common sense usually says if its raining or the roads are crappy then the throttle isn't yanked open as it would be if they are dry.

Does anyone else think that the basic skills are been taken away?? I do

I know this isn't exactly the same but I watched Air Crash Investigation the other day and a plane crashed  because both engines exploded.

Basically the engines started to burble cos of ice ingestion, the pilot throttled back but the clever computer throttled up blowing them up  Makes you wonder .

Just my twopenny worth :whistle: :whistle:

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sorry got go disagree. They don't take anything away from you, just give you more options to ride with.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I disagree as well. It's a bit like the argument about ABS, some will say a skilled rider doesn't need it. Most skilled riders will never know its there, but in the Oh Sh1t moment I will be very glad I have it. Same with linked brakes. Anything that can make the bike safer to ride is tops with me. You don't have to use the different modes, just leave it in Dynamic if you want to. In my short RT ownership, I have never ridden with anything but Road, but I will experiment at some point  :)
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Horses for courses.
I ride in Dynamic mode for most of the time, sometimes adjusting the susp from hard to normal.
Around town I find dynamic a bit "hit and miss", that's when I change to road. It gives a smoother ride at low speed.
I take the point that we never used to have "modes" and agree it gives choices not restrictions.
Looking to get the LC remapped in the near future and hopefully "smooth" the dynamic mode as Pope says his is.
I'll let you know when I get it sorted.
Alf170

Post by Alf170 »

If you ride like a muppet, no mode in the world will save you so you still have to use the basic skills of riding to the conditions, positioning, right seed/gear etc. The modes merely lurk in the background ready to help out if needed and we the rider learn to ride to the bikes ability but ultimately the riding skills need to be there.  Never found them intrusive to be honest, they get on with their bit, I get on with my bit, job done.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have had many bikes re-mapped, including my Harley. But am a bit sceptical how a third party can re-map for all the modes. i can see they can re-map for dynamic, but they would have no idea about what the ECU does for the other modes. So if you stay in Dynamic I can see a re-map working, but you would have to map for each mode, which for £350 I can't see happening.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Alf170 wrote: If you ride like a muppet, no mode in the world will save you so you still have to use the basic skills of riding to the conditions, positioning, right seed/gear etc. The modes merely lurk in the background ready to help out if needed and we the rider learn to ride to the bikes ability but ultimately the riding skills need to be there.  Never found them intrusive to be honest, they get on with their bit, I get on with my bit, job done.

:)  What he said
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Barryj . Apparently according to a recent enquirer the remapping effects all modes across the board.  If it smooths out Dynamic you got to wonder what it does to Rain.Maybe Pope can be persuaded to try it and let us know.  I remember something like If it's not broken don't fix it.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I think rain is pretty clear, max power is lower + ramp up is slower...

My understanding of Road vs. Dynamic is the power/torque curve to RPM is the same, however the ramp up in Dynamic is steeper meaning you effectively get more throttle at the engine for the same amount of twist on the handle bar...  Personally I am always in Dynamic practising good use of my right hand control! 

Peter