Modification of the turn signal cancel button

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
StephenS

Modification of the turn signal cancel button

Post by StephenS »

I have short thumbs, or at least, shorter than the Bavarian giant who designed the button to cancel the turn signal (indicator),so I have modified the button as shown in the photo below (if I can paste bbcode properly)

ImageUntitled by Stephen Summers, on Flickr

This is sugru , a sort of plastic putty/glue that sets hard.

It works fairly well.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Modification of the turn signal cancel button

Post by David. »

Marvelous, Silver Grey would look good.

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Sure it's not 'Wrigleys'?    ;D
Chris
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Even thought the old style switchgear was very intuative, I always felt that the horn button was easily confused with the left indicator, leading to the worst signal to give someone at a side road in the UK, a left indicator signal instead of a warning hoot.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When you got used to it I reckon it was the best system ever.  And it never broke. I blame MCN for its demise.  BMW said they dropped it because the switchgear couldn't be adapted for all the extra functions.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Despite modern technology, and owning the latest RT, I still prefer the original indicator system that I had on my '78 RS and '88 LT. You couldn't hit the horn blindfolded
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

RTman10 wrote: When you got used to it I reckon it was the best system ever. And it never broke. I blame MCN for its demise. BMW said they dropped it because the switchgear couldn't be adapted for all the extra functions.
My take on the old switch gear is that Harley Davidson did it even better, press once with your thumb to turn the indicator on and then press a second time to turn if off (same on either side)- Simples!
What the MCN and other journalist could not get their heads around was the "right thump up" does one thing and "left thumb up" scares the bejabbers out of you if you were trying to cancel the left indicator !! :))
For the old non-CanBUS bikes there was an after market doffer that would allow you to change how the BMW switchgear worked, so that you could have this HD type functionality. Sad that now even that route to switchgear nirvana has been removed by all this electrickery!
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Prefer the new system myself, had a Harley with self cancel, which they didn't always do. Could be embarrassing and dangerous. At least with new system one press = off and that's it.
Just my 2 peneth worth.