BMW Insured Warranty

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bertie

BMW Insured Warranty

Post by Bertie »

Had a letter this morning from BMW Insured Warranty quoting me £343.99 for extended warranty/breakdown for a further year on my 2014 RTLC, due they say on the 28th March (2 years from when I bought the bike new)
I rang my dealer to query this as I have a letter dated 11th August 2015 from BMW UK stating that due to the bike being off the road due to the recall they were extending the warranty by an "additional 3 months". I presume the breakdown was also included.
They recommend that I contact BMW customer services which I will have to do on Monday as the letter I have received today was probably automatically sent and is in error.
Has anyone else received this renewal letter?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Insured Warranty

Post by David. »

Found this Thread on BMWSportTouring, http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... 272&page=1

"There is an unsubstantiated rumour on some UK sites that BMW UK are offering a 3 month warranty extension for recalled bikes."

"It turns out this is indeed the case. I have received a letter this morning, confirming a 3 months extension to the warranty."

May well just be an admin. error, when speaking to BMW Warranty Services, I've been passed around between "New", "Used" & "Extended" Warranty Depts.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's possible this extension only applies to the original owner.  Quite a few of them were  rejected and BMW authorised dealers to take them back giving a full refund or supplying a new RT or a different model.  The rejects were then offered for sale but I believe it was not possible to pass ownership to the second owner until they were fixed. Even though I bought mine in early July it was not registered to me until 29 August . I initially received the wrong warranty documents from BMW showing it as an Approved Used Bike.  When I queried this they confirmed it was under full warranty for 2 years from 29 April, it's original registration date. No complaint on my part as I paid somewhat under full,price.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Isn't Bertie saying he bought the bike New on the 28th March? Therefore he is the original owner. Or is the warranty only extended if you had the bike New and then have to give it back to be fixed?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Correct.  I read he bought it new.  Every LC bought world wide up until 10 June 2014 was recalled so if the 3 month extension is correct all will be entitled to it if they are the original owner.  I think it was very different for our US members who rumour has it got pots of compensation money free holidays and all sorts.
It would be useful to know if any other reject owner has recieved anything from BMW on this.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Yes the bike was new. I took ownership on the 29th March.
It was then recalled and I was given a K1600GTL for 3 month's. Days before I got it back I received the letter I referred to telling me the shocks were at the dealer's and I would get £500 credit towards BMW accessories etc and my warranty would be extended for 3 month's.
Last edited by Bertie on Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On the subject of Warranties, if you purchase a used Bike which is greater than 12 months old, but less than 24 months, do you get the balance transfer of the original manufacturers Warranty, or a full 12 months "Used Bike" Warranty.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I got the remaining term on the OEM warranty when I bought a 14 mth old K13GT from a main dealer. Thereafter I purchased the BMW Insured Warranty.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:I got the remaining term on the OEM warranty when I bought a 14 mth old K13GT from a main dealer.
Thanks, although you only got 10 months Warranty, the OEM Warranty probably covers more than a 12 months "Used Bike" Warranty.

I wonder at what point, if any, a "Used Bike" Warranty may be offered over a few months remaining on an OEM one.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: It's possible this extension only applies to the original owner.  Quite a few of them were  rejected and BMW authorised dealers to take them back giving a full refund or supplying a new RT or a different model.  The rejects were then offered for sale but I believe it was not possible to pass ownership to the second owner until they were fixed. Even though I bought mine in early July it was not registered to me until 29 August . I initially received the wrong warranty documents from BMW showing it as an Approved Used Bike.  When I queried this they confirmed it was under full warranty for 2 years from 29 April, it's original registration date. No complaint on my part as I paid somewhat under full,price.

Same for me. 
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Bought mine in Nov 14 after the previous owner sold it back to BMW under the buy back scheme. I have checked with BMW Customer Services and they confirmed that the warranty would be extended by 3 months because of the bike being off the road for the recall.

Received the renewal notice from the warranty people the other day, they agreed that I could renew the warranty 3 months after the renewal date (14 March) if I wanted to.

Steve P
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just what I wanted to hear , you are UK based I assume.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Received the renewal notice from the warranty people the other day, they agreed that I could renew the warranty 3 months after the renewal date (14 March) if I wanted to.

Did they just say it would continue after the 2 year point or give you something to confirm the 3 months extension?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

paynes1 wrote:Bought mine in Nov 14 after the previous owner sold it back to BMW under the buy back scheme.
I have checked with BMW Customer Services and they confirmed that the warranty would be extended by 3 months because of the bike being off the road for the recall.
This confirms that the 3 months extension doesn't just apply to the original owner.
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

In different emails Customer Services said  I can confirm that the extended warranty is recognised by your frame number when you visit a BMW Motorrad Approved Centre.  Hard copies are not required.

All bike s that were affected by the recall are frame recognised. As part of the recall you should have received a letter which outlined the three month warranty extension. If you didn’t receive the letter and you need to have a repair in the 3 months after your Retailer Warranty expires. Our Motorrad Centres will honour the repair and it will be covered by goodwill.

Steve P