Getting ready to buy

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Getting ready to buy

Post by timminator »

Hi All - I'm new to the forum and preparing to buy a new 2016 RT from the dealer in Portland.  The one I am looking at is pretty well loaded, with premium package, keyless start and shift assist pro.  The dealer gives you 10% off accessories if you buy them now.  Considering the nav system and deluxe top case.  Are there any other must-haves?  If you have the Nav system, how do you like it?  I'm debating whether to pay $799 for it, or plop my own $200 garmin up there.  I'm not really sure what makes the BMW version of the garmin special?

I haven't owned a motorcycle for several years, but have been riding a Vespa GTS300 for 2-3 years now.  I love it, and have a great group of friends I ride with, looking for something that is a bit more stable and comfortable for long road trips.  All my research is pointing me to the RT.  [size=2px]Any other general advice would be appreciated.[/size]

Thanks in advance, Tim
Last edited by timminator on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Re: Getting ready to buy

Post by guest2360 »

Welcome.  Don't know what Garmin you already have but the only ones that will fit the bike are the BMW Nav V or its predecessor the IV.  The Garmin 660 also fits. The V has a larger brighter screen has a 2 year warranty and you get some function from the wheel.  The IV and the 660 are no longer produced.
Also consider fitting a front fender extender.  I would hang back from changing or fitting anything else until you have had some time to get used to it.  Top box is expensive but top quality.
And remember the RT is no slouch and demands a bit of respect at the throttle.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum,  lots to learn here to help you make your choice...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
timminator

Post by timminator »

Thanks all.  Good to know about the nav, I wish that thing would lock, I'm worried about it being stolen. And believe me, I intend to give a LOT of respect to that throttle.  In fact I'll probably leave it in rain mode for the first few hundred miles. 

Cheers!
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The lack of a lock is an issue but the left hand locker is designed to take the unit so it's out of sight out of mind.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Or just stick it in your jacket pocket when you leave the bike, like I have been doing for years on bikes that do not have locking sat nav holders.
turdboman

Post by turdboman »

you can order the top case from KFM in Germany for $750 us ,that includes shipping to the US and any tax ! I got one ,get the bmw part # and search the KFM site in the bmw section !!
turdboman

Post by turdboman »

Casbar wrote: Or just stick it in your jacket pocket when you leave the bike, like I have been doing for years on bikes that do not have locking sat nav holders.
That's what i do but i have a yellow piece of cord on my key that Velcros to the back of the nav ,but with key less you can figure something else . i have left mine and didn't realize it til i came back to the bike . glad it was still there !!
turdboman

Post by turdboman »

timminator wrote: Thanks all.  Good to know about the nav, I wish that thing would lock, I'm worried about it being stolen. And believe me, I intend to give a LOT of respect to that throttle.  In fact I'll probably leave it in rain mode for the first few hundred miles. 

Cheers!
I left mine in rain mode for a while but now it almost seems slow !!
turdboman

Post by turdboman »

timminator wrote: Thanks all.  Good to know about the nav, I wish that thing would lock, I'm worried about it being stolen. And believe me, I intend to give a LOT of respect to that throttle.  In fact I'll probably leave it in rain mode for the first few hundred miles. 

Cheers!
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

timminator wrote: I intend to give a LOT of respect to that throttle. In fact I'll probably leave it in rain mode for the first few hundred miles.
If the K1600 in the profile picture is yours you'll have no problem with the throttle, R1200RT has excellent traction but not as much as the K1600...  Peter
timminator

Post by timminator »

Ha, I didn't notice the profile pic was a K1600!  Thanks I'll fix that.

BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

I notice you can add a special locking oil fill cap...why would anyone need that?  Is there a problem with the cap vibrating loose and falling out or are people concerned about vandalism (dumping sugar into the oil)?  This seems odd to me, but I guess I don't know.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes that's the worry, vandalism.  BMW started making them way back for the 1100s which just had a twist cap which you could open with a finger and thumb and was very visible.  In 2005 it was changed to a slightly more difficult type that needed a special key to turn it but it was possible to tap it off with a screwdriver.  The same system is still in use but as its now partially hidden by a black plastic panel I don't consider it an issue. I also don't think you could get the unlocking key into the security type because of the panel.  None of them come undone by themselves.

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum :)  You'll probably get very used to the RAIN mode what with all that NW US coastal drizzle!!?? ;)