Getting ready to buy

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Getting ready to buy

Post by timminator »

Thanks RTMan10, I think I'll pass on the locking oil cap.  And Steve, you are right about the drizzle...I'm a fair weather rider so hopefully I don't see too much of that.  But you never know, anything can happen along the coast.
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

Turdboman - Thanks for the tip about KFM!  $750 is a lot better price than the dealership wants for that deluxe case ($1600).  Do you happen to have the part number for the deluxe case, the one with the brake light?  Also wondering if it's a hassle to wire that in myself, that would be the one benefit of having the dealer do it.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The brake light has to be bought seperate and the chrome surround as well.  Out of the box you get the black surround.  Take you about 1/2 an hour to fit and it works with no plug in necessary by a dealer.  You will need to get the lock coded though if you want to only use one key but as you are getting keyless it's not all that important. If you look in Real OEM you will find all the part numbers. There are only 2 different boxes .
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:Do you happen to have the part number for the deluxe case, the one with the brake light?
If you are unsure which part numbers are required, ask the BMW Dealer's Parts Dept. to provide you with a written quote of all items required.

Have had a look at the RealOEM & KFM sites, found these items:-
Topcase  http://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/ge ... 7438544631
Brake Light  http://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/ge ... 7518520044
Chrome Trim  http://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/ge ... 6548522938

Please check all Part No. with the Dealer before placing an order with KFM.
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I got wise in an earlier life to that.  Conversation went like this.
How much is that.  How much discount will you give me.
I'll have a think about that and come back to you and by the way what's it's part number.

If he came in or rang you and gave you the number and quoted what he was will to pay I wasn't the first dealer he had visited.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

On the subject of GPS, my previous bike was a 1600 GTL and the Nav 4 on that,  told me in Switzerland, that the road ahead was closed due to snow, and it was! II had no idea before that it gets that information from the RDS on the FM radio. The Nav5 can be hooked up to your Android/Apple phone to give the same info. The integration is really good.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I am a new 1200RT rider and I love it. I ordered a 2016 with all the bells and whistles. It runs circles around my HD Ultra Classic.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

blokeonthemove wrote: On the subject of GPS, my previous bike was a 1600 GTL and the Nav 4 on that,  told me in Switzerland, that the road ahead was closed due to snow, and it was! II had no idea before that it gets that information from the RDS on the FM radio. The Nav5 can be hooked up to your Android/Apple phone to give the same info. The integration is really good.

You're inferring way too much intelligence to the GPS.  that road's always blocked by snow...

:alas: :alas: :alas: :alas: :alas: