Navigator V cradle

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Navigator V cradle

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:The connection cable should be available from any dealer. Pt No 83 30 0 413 585

Also available from Nippy Normans:- http://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-to- ... mw-harness
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

DaygloDavid wrote: Image

The Zumo 660 mount can be wired directly to a "Switched Live" & "Earth".

Yes, I also have one of these but there is loads more cable length and additional connectors for things I don't need and finally no BMW connector for the power. But if the V cradle does work out this will be my fall back.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Great stuff, so just as easy to wire in the Garmin mount then
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:But if the V cradle does work out this will be my fall back.
Don't see why the BMW Nav V Cradle won't work, it's looks the same height as the Garmin, just a little wider where there is plenty of room above the Dash.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The Nav V cradle is the same height as the 660 one but unless you have a Nav V to put in it why bother.  Its a lot more money, the buttons only work with the Nav IV and V and if you put a 660 in it it covers the audio out socket.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: The Nav V cradle is the same height as the 660 one but unless you have a Nav V to put in it why bother.  Its a lot more money, the buttons only work with the Nav IV and V and if you put a 660 in it it covers the audio out socket.

Good question, currently I have the Garmin 660 with Garmin mount plus a Navigator V cradle. By using the V cradle the cabling will be easier and tidier plus it appears to support the 660 unit better due to it's size. Not fussed about audio out as will only be using Bluetooth.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

I installed the Wunderlink satnav mounting his afternoon. Quiet straight forward and found a nice cable run back to the power connector under the headstock. All looks good but I'm not sure it works : ( on my Ducati once the Zumo 660 is in the Garmin cradle and I turn the ignition key the 660 unit powers up and vic versa if I turn the ignition off. Not the case with the RT with the 660 in the Nav V cradle nothing happens if I turn the ignition on or start the bike. I have to manually power up / down the 660. before I run off and buy a DVM could somebody with same set-up confirm the operation. Thank you
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

With the IV or V they power up when you turn on the ignition.  Are you sure when you manually turn on the 660 it's getting power from the bike and not working on internal battery. Also on switch off it should tell you you have lost power and do you want to continue on battery.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: With the IV or V they power up when you turn on the ignition.  Are you sure when you manually turn on the 660 it's getting power from the bike and not working on internal battery. Also on switch off it should tell you you have lost power and do you want to continue on battery.

As I thought then the  660 is working of the internal battery and not taking power from the bike via he V cradle. Everything looks good so it can only be something with the wiring configuration at the plug/connector. But I have no idea why?
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It could just be the 660 is not compatible with the cradle.  Try to get hold of somebody with a IV or V before attacking the cables.  Lots of BMW kit will only work with BMW kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: It could just be the 660 is not compatible with the cradle.  Try to get hold of somebody with a IV or V before attacking the cables.  Lots of BMW kit will only work with BMW kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was trying to establish the compatabilty before I jumped in! So whilst it seems likely that the cradle is compatable wth 2006 RT bike maybe the 660 is not with the cradle. Will see if my local dealer has a IV or V I can try.
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:I was trying to establish the compatibility before I jumped in! So whilst it seems likely that the cradle is compatible with 2006 RT bike maybe the 660 is not with the cradle.
BMW Motorrad Equipment FAQ:-
http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/com/en/in ... &notrack=1

"Can I use a Garmin Zumo 660 with the navigation preparation mount of the R 1200 GS?

The Garmin Zumo 660 fits into the preparation mount and also obtains its power from it."

Are the electrical contacts on the cradle & back of the 660 clean, in the past, I've had to use some Electrical Contact Cleaner on mine,
and/or
is there 12V measured at the power supply point on the headstock.

Does the 660 power up from the Garmin mount when the +ve & -ve are directly supplied from the battery.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Do the connectors on the Nav V Cradle look like this.

J2 Pin 1 - GROUND
J2 Pin 2 - sense (Canbus, not needed)
J2 Pin3 - +12V

This is the Nippy Normans lead, looks the same as above.

Wires are numbered and need connecting as follows:
No 1 lead earth
No 2 Do not use
No 3 to red lead on sat nav

Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Navigator V cradle

Post by guest2360 »

Don't think it's applicable in this case as he has the V cradle on.  However extremely useful for anyone else who wants to attach the Garmin cradle to any of the RTs.  I for one can never remember the cable numbers. Good find. Not sure if the adaptor cable isn't cheaper of purchased directly from a BMW dealer.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

UKDucatiman wrote:I also have one of these and no BMW connector for the power. But if the V cradle doesn't work out this will be my fall back.
Have been successful in using the BMW (Nippy Normans) power lead to supply a Garmin Zumo 220.