General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Whilst I've already started a conversation over in the Satnav section I thought I would ‘pop back’ to say hello and provide some background into my RT ownership.

With a tour of the Italian lakes planned for this year I decided that my trusty 2005 Ducati Multistrada was probably best left at home. A great bike (very underrated, especially the Ohlins shod version) but not really up for such a long trip (two-up fully loaded). So I started looking around for an affordable bike which would take me and misses there and back in comfort, whilst being reliable. I must confess that I’d never considered a BMW and initially looked at the Honda Blackbird & Kawasaki ZZ1200, but did not find a good example.

Back in November I happened to pick up a copy of Bike magazine which had a very positive review of the R1200RT. The very next day I got a lead on a 2006 model in excellent condition with 16k on the clock. I called up the owner and learnt that the bike was an SE with full luggage including top box. It had all the recalls completed and partial service history, last done by a dealer in 2011 with 10k on the clock and subsequently the current owner had done an annual filter change. I put the phone down jumped into my car and two hour later was looking over a very clean bike. I did not ride the bike but did all the usual checks and made a couple offers before he shook my hand, delivering the bike the following week. Since then its sat in my garage and been fired up every couple of weeks. So far the only negative I've learnt is that it has servo assisted brakes which makes a wired noise when you pull brake lever, apparently these can be problematic? I should have my first ride on the bike over the next weeks, so it’s going to be very interesting to see how the ‘alien’ suspension behaves. I’m really not sure what to expect and wonder if I will need to modify my riding style at all?

In April I've booked the bike in for a full service with MotoScott including; valve clearance, fluid replacement and a set of new tires. There’s life in the current items (Michelin pilot road) but thought I might as well start off with a some new rubber and went for the Michelin pilot 4 GT. That’s enough rambling from me and hopefully I will catch-up either in a forum or at some social gathering.
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crater

Re: Newbie

Post by Crater »

Welcome. You're in the right place. The guys on this forum are very knowledgeable. I've had lots of bikes over the years but the RT has felt like coming home.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

welcome, I have just brought one my self so looking forward to the experience
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Noise from the brakes is normal.  You soon learn to forget it.  Telelever front end lets you brake going round corners without the bike standing up, you'll soon get used to that as well along with the lack of any dive under braking. Try with the bike switched off, pull the front brake on hard and try bouncing the forks.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hello and welcome to the forum UKDucatiman.  :) As the others have already said, you'll find the feedback and comments from forum members very helpful and effective. You'll enjoy the handling and performance of the RT, especially the unique BMW suspension geometry! Very germanic in its engineering complexity but darn good, and very easy to get confident with. Also with PR4 GTs fitted, they will provide excellent grip come rain or shine. A good choice of tyre especially for two-up touring.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Welcome UKDucatiman.

Bit of a provocative id!!

:alas: :alas: :alas:
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

richardbd wrote: Welcome UKDucatiman.

Bit of a provocative id!!

:alas: :alas: :alas:

I know, I know but me and the Duke go way back
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

UKDucatiman wrote:

I know, I know but me and the Duke go way back
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

richardbd wrote:
I also came across from the red side - MTS1200...

Mine is 2005 1000SDS (Ohlins shod one). Old school air cooled V-twin with no rider aids apart from how far you ping the throttle. Wont get so much use this year but such a hoot to ride.
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

Don't worry about the servo brakes. I had a 2005 model which I ran for eight years and did not have even a whiff of trouble with the brakes. Just the usual pad replacement.
chappers2a
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

UKDucatiman wrote:
Mine is 2005 1000SDS (Ohlins shod one). Old school air cooled V-twin with no rider aids apart from how far you ping the throttle. Wont get so much use this year but such a hoot to ride.

nice bike...
NSrider

Post by NSrider »

Hi to everyone on this board, I've just joined and look forward to reading posts and learning from fellow RT owners.
I'm a long time biker and always dreamed of owning a BMW and now I'm pulling the trigger on a new R1200RT! I'm located in Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia) and have my eye on local shorter trips as well as cross country touring. My buddy in Michigan owns an RT as well and the wife & I are planning to do a trip with them over the summer.
The only option that I can't justify is the audio & radio. Am I missing something? Any particular reason why it would be important to have?
Super exited for this amazing machine!
Enjoy every day to the full and treat it as a gift and privilege
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you enjoy music on the move the unit is great, othwise it's an expensive option. If you fit the made for Navigator V that will give you music anyway.
NSrider

Post by NSrider »

Thanks, that's good to know. Yes, I'm getting the Navigator V so that answers my question.
RTman10 wrote: If you enjoy music on the move the unit is great, othwise it's an expensive option. If you fit the made for Navigator V that will give you music anyway.
Enjoy every day to the full and treat it as a gift and privilege
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In that case get yourself a micro SD card, 8gb should do.  Load it with your favourite tracks in MP3 format only.  The slot is located behind the battery.  Sure your dealer will show you.