Conspicuity

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Pete1200

Conspicuity

Post by Pete1200 »

Some time ago I found a way to increase reflectivity of the bike, at night especially, without detracting from the looks of the bike too much.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
guest2360

Re: Conspicuity

Post by guest2360 »

Are you showing a before and after photo or is it black reflective tape.
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

It's black reflective tape. The difference in the pics is with and without flash.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thought so, just got some of the stuff to stick in my black helmet for France.  Can't see it in daylight.  Lets hope the friendly French cops can
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Pete1200 wrote:Some time ago I found a way to increase reflectivity of the bike, at night especially.
Dayglo jackets with reflective tape work.

Last edited by David. on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Blimey Pete didn't realise that 'conspicuity' was a word lol. The black reflective tape looks good, far more descreet than the usual hi-viz stuff. Think I'll give it a try cheers.
RTBoy

Post by RTBoy »

Pete1200 wrote: Some time ago I found a way to increase reflectivity of the bike, at night especially, without detracting from the looks of the bike too much.
Where did you get the black reflective tape from??
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Bought a black reflective sticker kit for the rear panniers. Hard to see when fixed in daylight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222214281623? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
RTBoy

Post by RTBoy »

stayingupright wrote: Bought a black reflective sticker kit for the rear panniers. Hard to see when fixed in daylight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222214281623?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers!
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

RTman10 wrote: Thought so, just got some of the stuff to stick in my black helmet for France. Can't see it in daylight. Lets hope the friendly French cops can
The French Law is unclear.  However it was intended for the home purchased helmets.  While I have a white helmet, I do not have the additional stickers, and have yet to be stopped by the French police.

Of course I do not have a UK plate!  I have to wonder if Brexit will make an impact on French police targeting UK registered vehicles.  They can get you for almost anything they really want:  Speed cameras, reflectivity on the jackets / helmets, Breathalyser unit (although this is officially no longer punishable!)  If they want you they will get you.

I will check out the black tape it looks interesting.
Best regards, Sleuth
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

RTBoy wrote: Where did you get the black reflective tape from??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Scotchlite ... XQ2dBSDfM3
This is where I got mine from. Bought the 10mm.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

stayingupright wrote: Bought a black reflective sticker kit for the rear panniers. Hard to see when fixed in daylight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222214281623?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Be aware that it is illegal to show any reflective on the rear of a vehicle that is white. So if on your rear panniers at night they should show up red, not white. That is in contridiction if you have reflect material on the back of your jacket or helmet. but I guess you could get pulled.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Anything which is removable is not deemed to be part of the actual vehicle, such as panniers, so showing a white light albeit reflected light from the pannier, is not a problem.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

You should reflect white forwards and red rearwards. Anything else can cause you issues.

2012 SE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

blokeonthemove wrote: Anything which is removable is not deemed to be part of the actual vehicle, such as panniers, so showing a white light albeit reflected light from the pannier, is not a problem.

Not the view of our traffic department. But you would probably have to have been stopped for something else for them to bother too much