Functionality - Garmin 660, Navigator IV and V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
UKDucatiman

Functionality - Garmin 660, Navigator IV and V

Post by UKDucatiman »

So here's the thing. I'm about to install a Navigator V cradle on my RT and my plan is to use this to power my Garmin 660. I know the buttons on the cradle won't work with my Garmin which got me thinking about selling this and getting a Navigator. But could somebody answer the following questions please:

1. What's the difference between the Navigator IV & V, are they both based on the Garmin 660?
2. Does the Navigator have additional features over the standard Garmin unit?
3. By getting a Navigator will this automatically enable the cradle buttons?
4. Is there any other parts or updates that I need to make the Navigator work?
5. Does the Navigator support the Garmin gpx format as I have some maps I would want to load?

Is there anything else to consider?
guest2360

Re: Functionality - Garmin 660, Navigator IV and V

Post by guest2360 »

The IV was a 660 with different software and Bluetooth or BMW audio unit only, no audio out socket. V is a totally different unit, there is no comparable Garmin unit but again Bluetooth or audio unit only sound. It comes with full Europe mapping from Garmin and is fully compatible with BaseCamp. You get a 2 year warranty and the normal lifetime map updates. They do require a microSD card if you load it with extra mapping or music. You can buy them with and without the cradle so you won't end up with two.  Answer to 3 is yes and 4 is no.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: The IV was a 660 with different software and Bluetooth or BMW audio unit only, no audio out socket. V is a totally different unit, there is no comparable Garmin unit but again Bluetooth or audio unit only sound.
I have a Zumo 660 and have recently upgraded to a Navigator V (which I have not used much so far). I would argue that while the profile of the Navigator V is similar to the 660, inside it is more akin to the later Zumo 590, recently replaced by the 595.
John Bentall
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I went through this whole process when I switched from a MTS to the RT.

Lots of people (mainly those with far too much time on their hands) will give you lots of advice and opinions. 

However, it boils down to a very simple principle.  To get the best from the RT, everything needs to be BMW kit - especially if you have an audio-equipped bike.  So, my advice is - fit a Nav5 (it won't be the best satnav you've ever had but it will work with everything on the bike); if you want to connect to all the bike's systems using bluetooth, get a BMW helmet with the BMW BT system (yes, I know the dealer didn't explain but trust me, it's the only way to make it work unless you want to take three weeks off work to try and save £50).

I will bet you ££££ that this post will be followed by all kinds of advice about how you can by-pass or over-ride various issues and challenges.  Me, I'd rather spend my precious time on the bike - and having spent £15k on it, I can't be a***d trying to save 15p by using non-compatible peripheral kit.

The only thing I would contemplate is Autocom - but that's a different story...

Before too long, others will along to tell you how they managed to save their 15p - what they won't tell you is how long it took them, or how many compromises they had to make.

The RTLC is designed to work as an ecosystem - to get the best from it, go with the flow...

(of course, other opinions are available! :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As you are after a second opinion.  Agreed.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

richardbd wrote: ...my advice is - fit a Nav5 (it won't be the best satnav you've ever had but it will work with everything on the bike); if you want to connect to all the bike's systems using bluetooth, get a BMW helmet with the BMW BT system (yes, I know the dealer didn't explain but trust me, it's the only way to make it work unless you want to take three weeks off work to try and save £50).
(of course, other opinions are available! :-)
Here's another opinion - but one that agrees entirely with yours.
I've got a BM airflow helmet with the BM BT system and it works fine with my BM Nav 5. Probably cost me a lot more than the after market systems that seem to be a major topic on this and other RT forums, for the reason that they mainly don't seem to deliver full functionality, but I wanted an easy life with full connectivity and was prepared to pay for it. Having spent a vast amount on my new RT LC last year, as you say I wasn't going to try and save a relatively small amount on an after market helmet com system that would not work fully with the bike in every way.

PS I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I also bought a pair of BM riding boots and a BM riding suit too :-[. Those aren't exactly essential to work with the bike in the way that their com system is, but they seemed decent quality and as I needed some new kit anyway, and got a deal on them, I took the plunge. At the risk of looking a bit of a knob.
Last edited by guest2826 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't be embarrassed about having some of the best riding kit available.  My list is
System 6 Evo, Tourguarg suit, Airshell jacket, Airflow suit. various BM gloves, Airflow boot, pro touring boots. Couple of BMW shirts and socks. In the 20 years of owing some of it I have yet to develop any leaks.  The main problem with all the kit is you can't wear it out. But an Airflow helmet in UK.  You must be hard.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

I prefer open face helmets and have never got on with full face including flip ups. I'm just a leisure rider and prefer milder weather but the trick in colder weather, if I go out at all in it, is to wear a balaclava under the helmet.

The suit is the GS Dry.
Last edited by guest2826 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Thanks for the informative comments. Whilst I would love the latest LC model I've got a 2006 bike at which time the connectivity options of today were only just being developed and yes, I'm on a budget : (  So for me anyway it seems to make sense to stick with the Garmin 660, it has the European maps and interfaces great with 'tyre'.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

UKDucatiman wrote: Thanks for the informative comments. Whilst I would love the latest LC model I've got a 2006 bike at which time the connectivity options of today were only just being developed and yes, I'm on a budget : (  So for me anyway it seems to make sense to stick with the Garmin 660, it has the European maps and interfaces great with 'tyre'.

Further to my previous comment on this thread, the ONLY reason I upgraded from my Zumo 660 is that I moved from a 2005 RT to an LC machine.
John Bentall
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Was looking at the Sharp safety tests yesterday for Helmets. Imagine my shock that the System 6 gets a lower rating than the System 5 Helmet. Was considering a BMW Helmet, but will stick with my Shoei Neotec.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Seem to remember their test is a bit odd.  Something to do with the way they test for a drop and lots of quality helmets got unusual test results. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Must admit only look for interest sake. But your right you would expect Schuberth and BMW to get full marks
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The Arai is not the top helmet for impact protection.

....  but Arai argue that they are the only ones to do the tests "properly" using the data from the impacts they have investigated.

The clear implication is that the rest of the world is wrong  ^-^
John Bentall