VARIATIONS ON THE METZELER Z8

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
STeinar

Re: VARIATIONS ON THE METZELER Z8

Post by STeinar »

Peter Baker wrote: +1, the Z8 I have on my previous bike (K1600) handled well but short life and metal bands showing with no warning means they were not for me again.  If these tyres fix this problem (please let us all know) I could be back to them again...  Peter

The Z8 did handle quite good (One of the better), but from good to metal band without warning - did not work for me ;-)
Surprisingly good on gravel, and cold roads !
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Peter Baker wrote:The Z8 I have on my previous bike (K1600) handled well but short life and metal bands showing with no warning means they were not for me again.
If these tyres fix this problem (please let us all know) I could be back to them again.
The 01's look like they are an improvement on the Z8's, in that there is less of a "slick" area in the centre of the tread pattern.

Z8
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

STeinar wrote:Just ordered a set for my RT.
There seems to be some big variations in price, may I ask where you are getting yours from as a comparison with National Bike Tyres here in the UK.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

DaygloDavid wrote: There seems to be some big variations in price, may I ask where you are getting yours from as a comparison with National Bike Tyres here in the UK.
I'm ordering from Germany, here is the British variant :

http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh ... zeugart=MO

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks, although moto-tyres are £22 less than NBT for a pair of 01's, I'd have to pay £30 fitting to loose wheels, therefore, not a saving for me.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

01s fitted this afternoon in between heavy rain showers.  Round, black with lots of tread pattern . As I live 1 mile from the shop and it was very wet I have no idea what they are like. Look very cool though.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Look very cool though.

Get my vote then...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Get my vote then...

And of course being mounted to grey will make them ballistic.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Got them scrubbed in a bit today.  I made the right choice.  it steers like its on rails with no effort from me.  Think there is less road roar from them compared to the Z8s.  And as I said earlier cool looking just like my plastic bungs.Sorry can't get the photos upright for some reason with an i pad.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Got them scrubbed in a bit today.  I made the right choice.  it steers like its on rails with no effort from me.  Think there is less road roar from them compared to the Z8s.  And as I said earlier cool looking just like my plastic bungs.Sorry can't get the photos upright for some reason with an i pad.

The tyres look cooler than the bungs - IMHO!

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The tyres look cooler than the bungs - IMHO!

That's it.  Their history, back to a hole.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: The tyres look cooler than the bungs - IMHO!

That's it.  Their history, back to a hole.

good decision...

8)
Richwill

Post by Richwill »

Question re M Roadtec 01's.  The HWM designation for the rear is on back order here in Ont. And the BMW dealer said I'd be alright with the non-HWM (heavy weight mc) rear and ordered the regular ones instead.  Just wondered if you guys who have them already went with the HWM issue......and also if you'd have any concerns going with the 'regular' version?  The dealer ordered these so I'd appreciate any help asap.

Thanks!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't do it.  I had a moment when I fitted a Z8 non C rated to a 1600.  It lasted 400 miles.  Both the RT and the K1600 have the same rating for the rear tyre
You have to ask how your dealer knows it's alright to fit the wrong rate of a brand new tyre .
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Richwill wrote:Question re M Roadtec 01's. The HWM designation for the rear is on back order here in Ont. And the BMW dealer said I'd be alright with the non-HWM (heavy weight mc) rear and ordered the regular ones instead. ......and also if you'd have any concerns going with the 'regular' version? The dealer ordered these so I'd appreciate any help asap. Thanks!
The Metzeler fitment guide lists the HWM only for the rear on an LC RT, http://www.metzeler.com/site/uk/product ... logue.html

Best stick to the tyre manufacture's recommendation, BMW dealers sell bikes not tyres.

Will be interesting to see if & when new LC's start appearing in showrooms with 01's & which version is on the rear.
(Not yet listed by BMW as a Tyre Option for the LC.)
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.