Key fob marking headstock...

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Levisp

Re: Key fob marking headstock...

Post by Levisp »

Keyless is overthinking a problem that simply does not exist. What is wrong with a key. My key doesn't mark anything.  :)
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

When I bought my RT new last year, all that was available were fully specced models with every extra which includes keyless so I had no choice. The dealer told me that BM import very few basic or partially specced bikes.

I tend to agree that keyless may be overkill but BM seem to be following car technology with Bluetooth, keyless, central locking etc. Having been compelled to accept keyless it's been no problem so far.

In many ways the RT is too complicated for me. A great ride from a pure biking viewpoint but there's just too much electronics and I don't use the half of it. It seems to get ever more complex with each new model.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I so agree with you. Over complicated electronics do nothing for me. I like the KISS principle.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

has anyone thought of the idea of seperating out the key from the fob and just keeping the fob in a pocket?
radical I know O0
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Now your getting technical.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

RTman10 wrote: Now your getting technical.
nearly 10.30 at night, I'm only just getting started on my radical creative moves and new business ideas!
Keep those problematic key and fob issues coming!
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

I am trying to find the dash pad RT Man has but can't locate on the Hornig website any help?

The little BM bag that is not the carbon yoke protector
Last edited by Hodge on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's an old BMW one.  The new version is a leather type material but just as effective.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

gaggle wrote: When I bought my RT new last year, all that was available were fully specced models with every extra which includes keyless so I had no choice. The dealer told me that BM import very few basic or partially specced bikes.

I tend to agree that keyless may be overkill but BM seem to be following car technology with Bluetooth, keyless, central locking etc. Having been compelled to accept keyless it's been no problem so far.

In many ways the RT is too complicated for me. A great ride from a pure biking viewpoint but there's just too much electronics and I don't use the half of it. It seems to get ever more complex with each new model.
+1. O0
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I tried this .... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 538wt_1402

It didn't work!

Could not get it to fit mine and gave up in the end as it looked like it would never fit.

I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I keep mine on a lanyard around my neck... simples!  Doesn't mark the headstock at all!! :)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

As I posted earlier in the thread, if you just put a bit of electrical tape around the fob where the two halves join, it no longer marks the head stock. I did that when I read about it on another thread and no marks at all