Wunderlich Elephant Tank Bag

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Masq85

Wunderlich Elephant Tank Bag

Post by Masq85 »

I've realised that my old magnetic bag won't work anymore (!!) and I'm thinking about getting a replacement - don't really want to pay the BMW premium price. Has anyone tried the Wunderlich Elephant Tank Bag on a new RT LC?
http://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-lc- ... your-model
guest2360

Re: Wunderlich Elephant Tank Bag

Post by guest2360 »

You can buy the genuine item for about £20 more.  Why bother with second best.
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I have one. Love it. When I change the bike I just change the base for about £30. Better quality than previous tank bags I have had. Only downside is when side pockets are full the horn will sound on full lock. Not a deal breaker for me. I have the small elephant bag as well.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

RTman10 wrote: You can buy the genuine item for about £20 more. Why bother with second best.
In general I agree with you but there can be some items where BM kit may not be the best choice and I don't mean on price, the aftermarket versions may actually be better.

One problem for me with the BM version (for 2015 RT LC),though it may not bother others, is that it requires a Velcro pad stuck to the back of the tank as part of the baseplate fastening. I don't really want to do that on my bike because it probably can't be removed, should I or some future owner wish to do so, without damaging the paintwork.

You can see this in the instructions:
http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/lan ... ag_k52.pdf

The Wunderlich Elephant base does not have anything to stick on, I think, looking at its instructions. The small Elephant would do me and it uses the same base.

I've been considering a tank bag and am not sure how these two compare on other features but I am a little put off by the BM velcro pad.
Last edited by guest2826 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Watched the vids on Youtube, that bag looks really good. I would def consider one  :)
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

I've just ordered one, the small version, for my LC. It looks superior to the BM bag as well as having a what appears to be a superior base system.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

gaggle wrote: One problem for me with the BM version (for 2015 RT LC),though it may not bother others, is that it requires a Velcro pad stuck to the back of the tank as part of the baseplate fastening. I don't really want to do that on my bike because it probably can't be removed, should I or some future owner wish to do so, without damaging the paintwork.
The way I solve that issue on all my bikes is to lay down an spare piece of clear paint protection film first and then put the stick pad on top of it. No  paintwork damage.
John Bentall
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

beemerboy9 wrote: The way I solve that issue on all my bikes is to lay down an spare piece of clear paint protection film first and then put the stick pad on top of it. No  paintwork damage.

not until you try to take the paint film off anyway...

;)