Tool bag essentials

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Tool bag essentials

Post by timminator »

I'm curious how many of you carry an assortment of tools, tire repair kits, zip ties, hose clamps, or other essential goodies with you while riding?  Since the bags should be balanced, where do you like to carry the tools so they don't impact your balance and also don't rattle around? 

I have a very well-equipped garage, but have generally not bothered taking many tools with me.  I'm thinking of equipping a small toolbox for those all-day rides.

Cheers, Tim
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Tool bag essentials

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:I'm curious how many of you carry an assortment of tools, tire repair kits, zip ties, hose clamps, or other essential goodies with you while riding? Since the bags should be balanced, where do you like to carry the tools so they don't impact your balance and also don't rattle around?
On a 2012 TC RT (non-Audio),  there is sufficient space in the storage compartment (upper RHS fairing),  under the pillion seat & behind/under the tail light unit for all tools, a puncture repair kit plus mini compressor etc.

Only ride with the bags (panniers) on when carrying luggage for touring.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not so many cubby holes for bits on the LC . There is some under the pillion seat if you don't have the audio unit and a small bit in the locker(s).  I carry only the bits already under the seat, the phone number for BMW Emergency Services and a credit card. I also have a puncture repair kit Velcro'd to the back of one if the panniers. 
I never ride without panniers as they will save you a small fortune in the gentlest of drops. On pre LCs they stop the end can and the shaft from grounding and I have known top boxes being written off when they have touched down when the panniers are missing. 
I have yet to experiment with the LC.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Not so many cubby holes for bits on the LC . There is some under the pillion seat if you don't have the audio unit and a small bit in the locker(s).  I carry only the bits already under the seat, the phone number for BMW Emergency Services and a credit card. I also have a puncture repair kit Velcro'd to the back of one if the panniers. 
I never ride without panniers as they will save you a small fortune in the gentlest of drops. On pre LCs they stop the end can and the shaft from grounding and I have known top boxes being written off when they have touched down when the panniers are missing. 
I have yet to experiment with the LC.

I do a mix of the two approaches.  I very rarely ride without the panniers (even if they're empty).  Not because of the [protection but because I think the bike look silly without them!

On a long ride I carry a decent tool kit, a VERY comprehensive first-aid kit and a small air compressor.  Otherwise, I have a puncture kit and a small hand-pump under the seat (yes, you can inflate a tyre with it) and a Leatherman (mole grip-type) and a Motion Pro tool kit in the right-hand cubby hole.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Someone is bound to say "All you need is a credit card" I carry a little more. Do not ride with panniers on but have a soft BMW bag on the back. In bag carry compressor, Stop N Go tyre repair kit, a few zip ties, gaffer tape, a pair of disposable gloves and a small tool kit. So far all I have used is the puncture repair kit which worked a treat. Also essential is break down cover.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Forgot I also have a small First Aid kit jammed under the top box rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tango

Post by Tango »

Gentlemen's hardware.

Still deciding on what else to carry, only ever done short trips before purchase of RT, now intending to do some camping touring, starting in May with a trip to the memorial sites in Northern France.

Marty
Attachments
WP_20160329_12_18_17_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20160329_12_19_23_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20160329_12_19_42_Pro (2).jpg
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Forgot I also have a small First Aid kit jammed under the top box rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's where my Autocom is...
timminator

Post by timminator »

Thanks all.  I took a look at the tool bag I carry around in my Vespa GTS300, and I had more than I thought.  Guess I need to figure out a way to sprinkle these goodies around in the RT, or tie the bag securely into the cargo cases.
Attachments
2016-03-29 19.56.34.jpg
2016-03-29 19.54.28.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
Tango

Post by Tango »

timminator wrote: Thanks all.  I took a look at the tool bag I carry around in my Vespa GTS300, and I had more than I thought.  Guess I need to figure out a way to sprinkle these goodies around in the RT, or tie the bag securely into the cargo cases.

Looks like a good assortmemt, but I would lose the mitre saw  ^-^
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:Guess I need to figure out a way to sprinkle these goodies around in the RT, or tie the bag securely into the cargo cases.
Looking back at this thread about a Torx Set, https://1200rt.com/index.php?topic=978.0, it may be surprising what few tools are required for an RT.

I carry sufficient tools to remove plastics & wheels.

Not forgetting your BMW Breakdown Cover, Credit/Debit Card & Mobile Phone.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
charliektm400exc

Post by charliektm400exc »

Tango wrote:
Looks like a good assortmemt, but I would lose the mitre saw  ^-^

Gold
timminator

Post by timminator »

LOL @Tango!  :))

Of course I always carry a mitre saw, and a wide selection of lumber.  That way I can build a quick shelter if it's raining and I need to change a tire. 
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Not a lot you can work on with common tools on a RT or any modern BMW for that matter
I've got a mini snap on ratching scew driver, carry the common size torx bits, a Philips and flat blade bit in handle
Small leatherman tool
Some zip ties
That's it
Jim