Hog Man Cometh

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Dstring50

Hog Man Cometh

Post by Dstring50 »

Hello to all the forum members.  I'm a 65 y/o guy in the states with a H-D Ultra in the garage as well as a Spyder RT.  I'm leaning towards swapping out the Ultra for the R 1200 RT and would like some feedback, particularly from someone else who has made the same switch.  I have watched the sport touring class bikes on the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) and thought how easily they seem to maneuver the twisties.  My Ultra is heavy and I'm sorry to say that as I age, I don't have the strength or balance that I once had.  I've dropped my Ultra a couple of times while standing still simply because of the weight issue and it's center of gravity.

Well, you've heard the woes of an aging American.  What can you tell me that will extend my riding years into my 70's...and beyond?  ...Don

P.S.  The Spyder is great fun but is there for when my wife want to go out for a ride.  I prefer long trips on my two-wheeler over the Spyder.

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Hog Man Cometh

Post by T6pilot »

I came from a K1600, not nearly as heavy as the ultra. Yet is was a pain at low speeds and moving about the garage. The RT is over 200 pounds lighter than the K1600, which translates to more nimble handling at very low speeds. RT handles the twisties quite well
Even when fully loaded. Only thing I changed on mine was the windshield, in heavy rain the factory shield directs the water directly into your face, Werks quite ride solved that.
Just turned 67 myself, several of my buddies who are 70+ also ride RT's, we all give the bike a[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

like T6pilot gave up 350+ Kilo bikes but at 72.  Going back to an RT was like loosing 20 yrs.  Easy to push about and ride at 2mph. BMWs are an acquired taste though so find yourself a dealer and try one 
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Having ridden big Harley Tourers for 16 years, I decided at age 72 I was finding my Road King a little heavy and in an attempt to prolong my motorcycling 'career' I changed it for a new 1200rt. I love the 1200rt and wish I had bought it sooner. It  is easy to handle and a delight to ride.  Don - just do it!    I guarantee you will have no regrets.
Dstring50

Post by Dstring50 »

All replies are appreciated and added validation to the way I'm leaning on this topic.  I guess it's time for me to get the Ultra on the market and respond to the challenge laid down by mhr43.  Thanks all.  ...Don
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Having taken test rides on 2 HDs. 1200 Sportster and a Super Glide, they both touched the footpegs down far too early for me. I think that you will like the R1200 RT, and you can always get both lowered suspension and low seat to give you a bit more confidence if needed.
Good luck.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The new RT dies not have a low suspension option, just a lower seat one but at 760mm it's low enough for somebody like me with a 29 in inside leg to be comfortable at a standstill.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Hello DString50.
Depending on where you are, you can probably head to a dealer and take one out for a drive. And i completely understand the weight/balance issue as we age, so even sitting on the RT and jockeying it around with your feet will be a big eye-opener.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

"If enough is good, then more must be better" - mostly true, except when it comes to the weight and complexity of a motorcycle.

If you have a Spyder for two-up travel, then you should consider carefully whether you need a full-on, two-up tourer for your solo trips. I do own an RT (as the lightest full-on touring machine) , but may have chosen something else if I did not carry a passenger. Something like a BMW R1200R with a screen or a Yamaha MT-09 or a new Triumph 1200 twin.
So I recommend  keeping an open mind about what is going to be right for you. You have plenty of time to try out an number of machines.
John Bentall
Dstring50

Post by Dstring50 »

I haven't quite got the hang of a direct reply to a single response posting yet, but for Beemerboy9 (John),if life were simple and I had laid down the ground rules 46 years ago, my wife would not have so much say in my decision.  Even though she doesn't like to ride on the Ultra - and won't - the first question she asked about the R 1200 RT was, "can two people ride on it?"  But having just written this, I realize that she doesn't like the difficulty I have when she is on the Ultra with me.  If the Ultra is at the margin with just me on it, add her to the mix and I'm way over where I should be. The R 1200 RT might make her feel more comfortable as well, but good thinking, anyway.  Thank you.  ...Don
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I made the switch from the heavy Ultra to a 2016 RT and what a difference. I was really having issues with the weight of the big Hog. I have had nothing but Harley's for the past 40 + years. The RT is like riding a dirt bike. At 67 years old, I feel like a much younger rider on the RT. I am still a not so fast rider like the young guys but it sure is fun to ride. Put a Werks windshield on the RT and it will make all the difference in the world. Less wind and more sound from the radio.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'm a young 58 year old and just purchased a R1200RT. I also have a Harley CVO Road King. The RT is a great bike, but I haven't been able to bring myself to sell the Harley yet  :)
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I have not parted with my Ultra Classic either. I just look at it sitting on my bike lift. I did take it out last weekend but quickly jumped back on the RT.
Radar27615

Post by Radar27615 »

I am 64 years old and had been riding Harley Ultra's for many years.  In 2014 I sold my 2010 Ultra Limited and purchased a 2014 K1600 Exclusive.  I loved the engine on the 1600 but found the weight made the bike feel about as heavy as the Ultra and actually more difficult to move around in my garage than the Ultra maybe because the weight seemed to positioned lower on the Ultra.  I sold the K1600 and purchased a 2016 R1200RT and the difference is like day and night.  The R1200 is sooo much easier to move and handle and the difference is unbelievable!  Also the handling of the R1200RT is much better than the K1600 in my opinion.  I love the R1200 and will never be going back to a Harley.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Reading some of the posts on here, I think we need to start a sub-forum for the "younger" riders amongst us...

:alas: :alas: :alas: