Hog Man Cometh

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
SquamishRT

Re: Hog Man Cometh

Post by SquamishRT »

At 72 yrs young I just got rid of my bot new  2008 HD ElectraGlide Classic- not quite as big as the Ultra but close . The new R1200RT is really a better motorcycle. After the first 1500 km roadtrip there is no way I would go back. I had a BMW F-800ST but is was really too small and the Harley was starting to feel way too heavy. My wife also a senior citizen traded her 2008 HD Softail Heritage for an R1200R and is even more convinced it was the correct choice. Last summer we did cross Canada on the Harley's (17,345KM). At our age we would not do it again on the Harleys , but on the 1200's ... maybe.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Casbar wrote: I'm a young 58 year old and just purchased a R1200RT. I also have a Harley CVO Road King. The RT is a great bike, but I haven't been able to bring myself to sell the Harley yet  :)

Similar situation to more than few here. Only 55 but got a bum left knee. Current bike is a '13 CVO Road Glide Custom. That's well over 1000 lbs to hold up at stops with my tiny (thankfully) wife on the back. I'm just wait for the day when the knee gives out and we both go over.

Test rode a '16 RT a few days back. At 300 lbs lighter than the CVO RGC, it felt like riding a scooter. The power cut probably 30 years of my current age and felt like I was in my 20's again! Oh how I missed the boxer engine. And the stopping power of the BMW telelever bikes.

Probably won't be able to keep both though. So going to either sell the CVO or trade it in. We'll see what they want to give me. Still in research mode here on the RT forum though.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Bought my 2014 RT just after Christmas. Also had a 2014 CVO Road King, come June, hadn't ridden the King since I got the RT. Sold the King so now only have the Beemer, love it. I'm 58 young  :)
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Casbar wrote: Bought my 2014 RT just after Christmas. Also had a 2014 CVO Road King, come June, hadn't ridden the King since I got the RT. Sold the King so now only have the Beemer, love it. I'm 58 young  :)

Having a hard time moving the CVO RGC. Too new to be a good deal money-wise for someone since they could get a brand new regular model for less. I've dropped my private sale down to trade-in value. HD won't offer even close to that to buy it. They would certainly give me much more if I would actually trading in on another Harley but the BMW dealership I'm working with has gotten numbers $4k to $5k below trade-in. I might go a grand or two below but I'm not going to help them make that much money that easily.

So it might not happen this year or next. Time will tell. We do still love the CVO RGC so it's not a big deal. The RT's are going no place anyway.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I lost about 5k over 2 years. Sold the Harley privately. But the used bike I bought had loss a similar amount, so guess I'm square. I loved the Harley, but just wasn't riding it.