Dropped bike...%#$@%

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Dropped bike...%#$@%

Post by timminator »

I am very sad to report that I dropped my new RT tonight.  Not even a week old yet.I was on a group ride with a bunch of guys.  Came to an extremely sharp turn where 2 roads merge together, you are basically doing a 180 degree turn.  There was gravel there, and severe pitch to the road.  I stopped because I was afraid I wouldn’t make the turn, put my foot down, and the road pitched so much there was nothing there, I basically just tipped over.  No speed was involved, I was stopped when it happened.  There is some cosmetic damage to the pannier, engine guard (thank GAWD I installed those last weekend), and the mirror.  The mirror is mostly just dirty, it didn't hit it very hard.
The bike seemed to run fine afterwards, no warning lights from the computer.  Oddly though the oil level seems just slightly higher than it was before.  I'm wondering if a little bit of gas leaked into the oil when it dropped.  Is there anything you guys think I need to do in terms of checking it out?  Also, please tell me this won't affect the warranty.  The bike will be 1 week old tomorrow. :(
Thanks Tim
Attachments
2016-03-31 20.07.13.jpg
2016-03-31 20.06.36.jpg
2016-03-31 20.06.15.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Re: Dropped bike...%#$@%

Post by richardbd »

That's really annoying - and really bad look Tim.  We've all been there...

Good news is that the damage is all pretty cosmetic, so won't take much sorting.
Last edited by richardbd on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's a shame.  Would suggest you get the pannier panel respreyed, dead easy to remove, won't stop you using the pannier.  New one costs big money.  Think you can also replace the rubber bit on the engine protector.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Agreed, I laid down the job bike last week at a scene when I had to stop suddenly on the apex of a bend on dual carriageway, put left foot down.... Didn't realise the severity of the camber no damage, but in front of many :-[
Fuel shouldn't have got through to the oil, recheck the level again, it should have settled. If in doubt, remove oil filter and insert nose for a sniff, erm, engine off first !!!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Did I type filter? Meant filler cap!!!!!!!!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed.  Can't see any way you could get fuel in the oil.  Just needed to settle down. 
step2534

Post by step2534 »

That's a sickner Tim, but Sxxt happens to us bikers unfortunately.
You just cant win with a bike, cambers, gravel, diesel, cow muck, crap junctions especially on hills everything is against us!!!
I think this is why most bikers are very good car drivers it down to their road sense and observations of the road conditions
Still your OK and the bike damage is cosmetic.
It just knocks yer confidence for a while but you've just to get on with it and enjoy.
It looks so light there shouldn't be any issues Good luck
Tango

Post by Tango »

Bummer, but your OK, everything else will work itself through. Just shows how easy it is. Also the value of those protection bars, that's exactly what they are there for.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Thanks for the kind words everyone, feeling a little better this morning.  Most importantly, nobody was hurt and bike damage was minimal.  Shaking of the confidence is the hardest thing, I don't know what it is about right-hand turns but they have always been more difficult for me.  I've attached a picture of the ride segment, our route is the green line.  That's the tightest hairpin I have ever seen.  I'm back in the saddle tonight, need to shake this off.
Attachments
Untitled.png
BMW MOA #210438
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Glad to hear that it's only cosmetic bike damage and that you're fine! Yes, that's one hell of a hairpin - very alpine like! Keep riding and just take things easy until the confidence is fully back. :)
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Right hand hairpins are real buggers especially for you lads that have to drive on wrong side of road. ;) ;)
timminator

Post by timminator »

Yes @step2534! they are a real pain in my arse.  I imagine in the UK it's the left hairpins that are rough.  The weird thing is, I ski in the winter as well, and I love turning left, I can carve all the way down the mountain.  But if I have to carve right I feel like I'm going to crash every time.  I think mom dropped me on my head when I was a baby... :beee:
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

timminator wrote: Yes @step2534! they are a real pain in my arse.  I imagine in the UK it's the left hairpins that are rough.  The weird thing is, I ski in the winter as well, and I love turning left, I can carve all the way down the mountain.  But if I have to carve right I feel like I'm going to crash every time.  I think mom dropped me on my head when I was a baby... :beee:
Remember
No matter which side of road you ride on a right hairpin will be more difficult because your right hand controls go fast lever which in a severe turn leaves your had at a awkward angle. This was explained to me by a motor officer instructor
Practice makes it a lot easier, figure eight turns in a parking lot, decreasing radius turns. Our local PD has there officers practicing monthly

Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I had never thought of that on right handers.  Now of course every one I take there will be this nagging worry "is my wrist all twisted up and am I about to fall off because of it" . Bugger.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tango

Post by Tango »

As well as the above help and advice with road camber etc, it  might be worth getting friend to follow you to see if you are sitting central on the bike.
It is not uncommon for riders including myself (working on it) to sit over to one side or the other, this alters the weight distribution,and therefore the turning characteristic of the bike in right and left turns.

Probably the best advice as above from T6 pilot practice practice practice in an empty parking lot. Reminder to self do some more practice.