Helmets with built in...

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Ventura

Helmets with built in...

Post by Ventura »

Hi,
I would like to know from you, what helmet I should get that have built in headphones that will work with the bike BT...?
Thank you,
V.
guest2360

Re: Helmets with built in...

Post by guest2360 »

Only the BMW BT kit will fully connect to two helmets.  If it's just you or you don't care if your pillion can't hear the audio unit, most makes will connect.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

What !!  No Schuberth ???
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What's Schubert got to do with BMW BT kit. If you connect any make of  non BMW BT to the audio unit it will always say Not Possible for the Helmet Two connection.  The only way round it if you don't want their kit and you and your pillion want to connect to everything ie the unit for radio/music, GPS and phone, is a good wired system connected directly to the audio unit. IMHO the BMW kit is flawed anyway.  No automatic mute facility, GPS/phone only connects to one helmet and no volume control for the pillion on the wheel. Except for that it works very well.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

I have the BMW Airflow helmet with their Bluetooth kit fitted and it works fine with both the Nav 5 so I can hear the route directions and listen to the bike's built in radio or other source. Also my iPhone 5 communicates with it all too, though I turn off phone calls because I'm not interested in phoning whilst on the bike. Glad to get away from the phone. The Airflow is an open face but the same kit can be fitted to a BM full face.

I suspect that BM Bluetooth kit can be fitted only to a BM helmet. When I bought mine from a BM dealer, they said that they have to do the fitting, they wouldn't sell the comms kit separately but only to someone buying a BM helmet at the same time or presenting them with a BM helmet to fit it into. Don't know if they were just saying that or whether it's official BM policy but anyway I was happy for them to do the fitting. It may not even fit into other helmet brands.

Not the cheapest, as usual with any BM kit, but it works fine for me and, being a retard with electronic tech stuff, I wanted it to work without hassle and to have full control from the bike. I understand that only BM offers this. I don't usually carry passengers so can't comment on how that side of it works.

One drawback of a Bluetooth system is that it isn't externally powered, unlike a wired unit, so that you have to recharge the helmet battery after a number of hours use. The advantage is that you don't have wires trailing around. But if you want a wired job you'll need to modify the bike because far as I know there is no provision, as standard, for a plug in version.
Last edited by guest2826 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All wired systems are powered from a switched live although Autocom make a connection that can be connected to the battery.  They also provide a cable to connect the audio unit. 
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

I told the dealer what I've learned here- that only the BMW BT works well as intercom….he didn't agree, and said I could save money with another system, that some customers have used…so, I ordered the Sena….

I have a Shoei full face, and want to buy an open face as a second, Should I get the Shoei ?, I have issues with the Shoei Neotec visor not fitting properly………. ??? ?

Thanks for your help.
V.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Ventura wrote: I told the dealer what I've learned here- that only the BMW BT works well as intercom….he didn't agree, and said I could save money with another system, that some customers have used…so, I ordered the Sena….

I have a Shoei full face, and want to buy an open face as a second, Should I get the Shoei ?, I have issues with the Shoei Neotec visor not fitting properly………. ??? ?

Thanks for your help.
V.

Good luck with that. 

If you haven't read RTMan's post carefully, I suggest you do.  No matter what the dealer says, there are certain functions that only the BMW BT system allows to function properly.  If you do go with Sena, don't say we didn't warn you...

notnotnot
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

The BMW system will cost me CA$2800…!!! or 1514 pounds …!!! :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

We were not talking cost only function and whatever your dealer told you he is wrong. If it's just you on the bike no problem.  If you have a pillion tough luck.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

RTman10 wrote: What's Schubert got to do with BMW BT kit. If you connect any make of  non BMW BT to the audio unit it will always say Not Possible for the Helmet Two connection.  The only way round it if you don't want their kit and you and your pillion want to connect to everything ie the unit for radio/music, GPS and phone, is a good wired system connected directly to the audio unit. IMHO the BMW kit is flawed anyway.  No automatic mute facility, GPS/phone only connects to one helmet and no volume control for the pillion on the wheel. Except for that it works very well.

Is there anywhere I can read or see vid on wired systems connecting into the LC audio unit?
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I know of none, but it's  not rocket science.  The Autocom connection cable 2273 comes with instructions but my advice would be get one dealer fitted.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Thanks RTman
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
TJriderVA

Post by TJriderVA »

I have a 11RT. Bluetooth has never worked properly with a Schuberth SRC audio. You can hardwire the rear speakers to connect to your helmet. There is a rear speaker plug on my bike near the front fork. Need to buy a matching connector to do the hard wire. You then set the audio to rear speaker only and you can control everything from the left grip as originally intended. I then BT my iPhone to the SRC. SRC has noproblem going back and forth between sources.