Paint protection film kit

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
UKDucatiman

Paint protection film kit

Post by UKDucatiman »

Paid a visit recently to Airstream (Chigwell) for the fitment of a film kit to my RT. Matt (owner) has installed this on my current car which has worked wonders in preventing stone chip and environmental damage to the paint. A template kit is cut from sheets of film (Suntech) for specific vehicles and then skilfully applied. The whole process takes about 4 - 5 hours to complete. End product looks excellent and will hopefully protect the bike from road debrie, scuffs and scraps.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Paint protection film kit

Post by richardbd »

UKDucatiman wrote: Paid a visit recently to Airstream (Chigwell) for the fitment of a film kit to my RT. Matt (owner) has installed this on my current car which has worked wonders in preventing stone chip and environmental damage to the paint. A template kit is cut from sheets of film (Suntech) for specific vehicles and then skilfully applied. The whole process takes about 4 - 5 hours to complete. End product looks excellent and will hopefully protect the bike from road debrie, scuffs and scraps.

I had Venture Shield on my Multistrada and opted not to bother on the RT.  Will be interesting to see the difference 20k miles in...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well worth doing. When I bought my RT last year I got the full Venture Shield paint protection kit fitted. Its saved my paint for sure. If you can get the centre stand, horizontal bar covered. I didn't and have no paint left on mine.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Has anyone tried a coloured 'wrap'? Thinking of white for my LC
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Tango

Post by Tango »

Steveeung wrote: Has anyone tried a coloured 'wrap'? Thinking of white for my LC

I have seen panniers wrapped, to mask damage, they had been wrapped with a map of the USA, looked superb, can't remember where I viewed it.  :alas:
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Levisp wrote: Well worth doing. When I bought my RT last year I got the full Venture Shield paint protection kit fitted. Its saved my paint for sure. If you can get the centre stand, horizontal bar covered. I didn't and have no paint left on mine.

Just had my Iconic done on Monday, how things with yours 6 months down the line Levisp ?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DaveCly wrote:
Just had my Iconic done on Monday, how things with yours 6 months down the line Levisp ?

Mines been on since new so has now done 20000 miles and is a little over 2 years old. No problem with the clear film still looks like the day it was put on. I wax over mine as if it wasn't there, I'm a bit OTT like that. Good stuff.
DaveCly
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Good stuff 👍
What wax do you use, was told not to use a cream polish ?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DaveCly wrote: Good stuff 👍
What wax do you use, was told not to use a cream polish ?

Polish contains abrasive compounds and brightens dull paintwork by removing the dead paint. I guess because of the abrasive nature its not a good idea to use on the protective film. My paintwork is in good condition so I use a wax which protects. A pure wax has no abrasives its designed to protect and provide a shine but not to polish dull paint. Too complicate the picture there are products that combine a polish with a wax. All very confusing. To answer your question I use Natty's Blue Liquid Wax from Poorboys. This is a lovely product to use. Shake well, apply a thin layer using a sponge, leave to haze and then buff with a microfibre cloth. So quick and easy to use, produces a lovely shine and protects paintwork. I use it on all paintwork including wheels. I also use it on the screen. It makes removing bugs very easy. Check out the car detailing companies on the internet for more info.

http://www.poorboysworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... db_epid=12
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Cheers for the detailed reply Levisp, I'll check it out 👍