The tire pressure monitors

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: The tire pressure monitors

Post by guest2360 »

The change in pressure with tyre temp is always up from the cold (correct) pressure.  A sudden decrease is either a puncture or in your case I would suggest a faulty unit.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Steve F wrote: Since when? The two BMWs I've owned (2010 & 2015 models) with TPMS fitted on both, showed, as you'd expect, a slight pressure increase as and the tyres got warm. Isn't that the norm?
Steve
Both my 2012 K1600
And 2015 RT compensate for temperature
After a spirited ride pressure indicated on dash is within 1-2 degrees Of when cold
Direct reading gauge can be 5+ psi higher
Somewhere in riders manual it explains it in far too much detail
I'am happy the way it works
Others have reported large errors in pressure readings between bike pressure and gauge when cold, in which case dealer can do a computer reset
My riding buddy just picked up his new 16, riding home from dealer, triangle turned Amber, rear pressure had dropped, within 15 seconds turned Red. He picked up a chunk of steel
Ruining a brand new PR4
Now if he had bought the premium BMW MOA membership his new tire would have been free
Jim
Tango

Post by Tango »

That's a bit confusing, pressure is measured in psi, or bar,
not being picky, just would like to know the pressures after your spirited ride, to see the difference  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In my case if the rear is showing 2.9 when cold, it will normally jump to 3 when fully warmed up.  It will read that until the tyres are cold again.  Same difference on the front. Its no big deal, a steady reading means no nails. I tend to have the dash set to show the pressure on start up only.  As soon as it registers I swap to something more interesting like range or consumption. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

T6pilot wrote: Steve
Both my 2012 K1600
After a spirited ride pressure indicated on dash is within 1-2 degrees Of when cold
Others have reported large errors in pressure readings between bike pressure and gauge when cold, in which case dealer can do a computer reset
My riding buddy just picked up his new 16, riding home from dealer, triangle turned Amber, rear pressure had dropped, within 15 seconds turned Red. He picked up a chunk of steel
Ruining a brand new PR4
Now if he had bought the premium BMW MOA membership his new tire would have been free

Apology 1-2 PSI not degrees
Jim
Tango

Post by Tango »

T6 pilot, now that makes sense,

I ask only because eg.  .1 to .3 bar does't sound much, but it converts to 1.5 to 4.5 psi.

Over here some talk in psi, and some talk in bar, crazy,

and mostly I talk rubbish, ha

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Tango wrote:

Whilst here, yesterday on a long ride out, my tpm showed a sudden drop from 2.5bar to 2.3, then went to zero, worrying at 70mph on the motorway,
then the amber warning light appeared, this all happened in about a 30 second period, pulled over at junction luckily only another half mile, my buddy carries a tyre pressure gauge, which showed everything normal very reassuring. so from now on gauge included in tool kit.
tpm now ok again after a few more miles.

Similar happened to me also on motorway. Stopped and manually checked pressure which was ok. Happened a couple more times, stopped and checked manually and thereafter, ignored. Came to the conclusion that I'd be better off without this tech, didn't know whether to stick or twist. This was the rear sensor only but the next phase was both failing to read a pressure of any kind. Apparently if one sensor is acting up it can upset the 'brain' and then neither work. Next phase was rear sensor only playing up again at indeterminate intervals. Finally had rear sensor replaced and no further problems.

Chris
Tango

Post by Tango »

K9doc, now I don't feel so bad thanks, will look forward to the next installment, then the dealer can sort it under extended warranty I hope.  :)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

T6pilot wrote: Steve
Both my 2012 K1600
Ruining a brand new PR4
Okay. Perhaps the specifics of this 'temp compensating' has been lost in translation...! If I have comparable pressures (when measured cold) between the bike TPMS and a tyre pressure gauge, and the bike TPMS then shows a slight increase when the tyres get warm, and then the expected pressure reduction when cold again, then that's the way it should be....Anyway, that's what I experience and what I believe should be occurring.