Bluetooth audio sounds awful

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Bluetooth audio sounds awful

Post by TJRL »

richardbd wrote: Rather unusually on the subject of BT, I disagree with RTMan this time.
The quality from my BMW BT unit is not far short of that from my Autocom - at anything over a few mph it's genuinely hard to tell the difference, other than the Autocom does have more volume available.
I'm more inclined to think the OP's issue is the non-BMW BT. I originally tried to hook up my Schuberth SRC to the bike and the quality - when it worked all - was atrocious.
Strikes me as yet another case like lots of others - needs to switch to BMW BT or do the sensible thing and get an Autocom fitted...
not
RichardBD, can you help me?

I also have the Schuberth SRC and found it's performance with the BMW BT to be pants! In addition I did not like having to adjust the volume via the helmet controls. So I bit the bullet and wired in the Autocom I took off my 2008 RT into the speaker lines so that I can now control the volume via the wonder wheel and using my old C3 helmet (with Autocom head set in) and get good quality sounds.

But I have heard that if I replace the SRC with the BMW version (apparently possible with a bit of fiddling) in my Schuberth C3 Pro then I will also get volume control via the wonder wheel and decent sounds. So it seems my options are to either replace the SRC with the Autocom headset from my old C3 or to replace it with the BMW offering and just accept the money wasted on the SRC.

So here ares the questions I hope you can help me with - Is the full BMW BT setup as good as (or nearly as good as) a wired Autocom set up? If so how much of a hassle is it to put the helmet's BT on charge each day?
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I can tell you, yes you will have volume control on the wheel with the BMW headset but only you, not the pillion.  It also does not mute music when you talk. 
So by yourself it's OK.  My advice buy another Autocom headset and have a nice holiday with the cash you save .
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTMan10 is really the font of all knowledge on this topic.  Hard to disagree with him.

I have both an Autocom (using a Schuberth C3) and the BMW BT set-up (using a System 6 Evo).

For solo riding, the sound quality and controllability of the BMW BT kit is excellent - every bit as good as the Autocom.  The Autocom allows me to use my 2-way radio, which is also plumbed into the bike and that's the main reason I switch between the two.

I very rarely carry a pillion so the intercom functionality has no real value to me.  So my preference between the two is mainly based on the trade-off between connecting myself to the bike every time I get on/off or having to charge the helmet every night.  That said, the BMW BT battery seems to be excellent.  I have never had it die on me, even on 9-10 hour days.  I could never say that about my previous BT systems but I guess battery technology has moved on over time, so they're all probably better than the were a few years ago.

To be honest, for a solo rider, it's as simple as that but if you ride 2-up, the Autcom is vastly superior.

The one thing I don't like are non-BMW BT units because the lack of control from the handlebar would frustrate me too much...

kiki

Post by kiki »

Coming in late to the discussion(as usual). I have a nav v installed on a bt equipped bike with a cardo q3 duo. Following the instructions of the gps, bike and intercom, I have access to my iPod music (in the compartment) my iPhone, my nav prompts, the bike radio, and of course intercom. My passenger has access to the same music ( in stereo, btw) as I do and intercom with me.
The quality is perfectly fine by my ears. I have none of the issues the op has.
As we know , the cardo system has a priority protocol with all this that works great.
I rode  for years with wired setups and I prefer this simpler system in modern days.
Last edited by kiki on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Are you saying your passengers headset has connected to the bike audio and that is where they are getting music from.  They don't of course get GPS prompts or have you solved that problem as well.
kiki

Post by kiki »

She listens to the bike in stereo using the cardo music share function. And since she isn't driving I don't see the lack of nav prompts to her as a "problem"
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

kiki wrote: Coming in late to the discussion(as usual). I have a nav v installed on a bt equipped bike with a cardo q3 duo. Following the instructions of the gps, bike and intercom, I have access to my iPod music (in the compartment) my iPhone, my nav prompts, the bike radio, and of course intercom. My passenger has access to the same music ( in stereo, btw) as I do and intercom with me.
As we know , the cardo system has a priority protocol with all this that works great.
I rode  for years with wired setups and I prefer this simpler system in modern days.

You will get burnt at a stake here if you talk about BT being good  :)  I've given up discussing BT, I've got a Cardo G9 and it works exactly as yours does. But looking to upgrade as one of my units is duff after 4 years. I was out yesterday and listened to the radio for 1.5 hours and had no issue with quality, but I am 58 so my ears are not hi fi anymore.
kiki

Post by kiki »

That's ok, I think everyone here is at least cordial with their point of view. And I don't doubt that many have had their fair share of Bluetooth-ache.
I just bought a Shoei Neotec and have sourced a new Cardo SHO-1 for the intercom. Apparently the sound is phenomenal according to webbikeworld. 
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

richardbd wrote: RTMan10 is really the font of all knowledge on this topic. Hard to disagree with him.
I have both an Autocom (using a Schuberth C3) and the BMW BT set-up (using a System 6 Evo).
For solo riding, the sound quality and controllability of the BMW BT kit is excellent - every bit as good as the Autocom. The Autocom allows me to use my 2-way radio, which is also plumbed into the bike and that's the main reason I switch between the two.
I very rarely carry a pillion so the intercom functionality has no real value to me. So my preference between the two is mainly based on the trade-off between connecting myself to the bike every time I get on/off or having to charge the helmet every night. That said, the BMW BT battery seems to be excellent. I have never had it die on me, even on 9-10 hour days. I could never say that about my previous BT systems but I guess battery technology has moved on over time, so they're all probably better than the were a few years ago.
To be honest, for a solo rider, it's as simple as that but if you ride 2-up, the Autcom is vastly superior.
The one thing I don't like are non-BMW BT units because the lack of control from the handlebar would frustrate me too much...
Many thanks RichardDB and also RTMan10.
Although I ride solo 99% of the time and only very occasionally in a group with 2 way radio, I think I will go with a hardwired Autocom as I have the kit (x3 actually!) and would want to be able to use the 2-way when needed. For some reason I keep thinking that connecting the helmet to the bike is easy but connecting it to a charger is not! This may be that I am so used to connecting to the bike that it is second nature or it may be just that I found connecting the SRC a bit of a pain tucking the lead back into the helmet skirt each time.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

TJRL.  Good lad.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

kiki wrote: Coming in late to the discussion(as usual). I have a nav v installed on a bt equipped bike with a cardo q3 duo. Following the instructions of the gps, bike and intercom, I have access to my iPod music (in the compartment) my iPhone, my nav prompts, the bike radio, and of course intercom. My passenger has access to the same music ( in stereo, btw) as I do and intercom with me.
+1 on the BMW sat nav in conjunction with a Scala Q3 set-up. Absolutely fine wireless comms, music etc.... :)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

TJRL wrote: Many thanks RichardDB and also RTMan10.
Although I ride solo 99% of the time and only very occasionally in a group with 2 way radio, I think I will go with a hardwired Autocom as I have the kit (x3 actually!) and would want to be able to use the 2-way when needed. For some reason I keep thinking that connecting the helmet to the bike is easy but connecting it to a charger is not! This may be that I am so used to connecting to the bike that it is second nature or it may be just that I found connecting the SRC a bit of a pain tucking the lead back into the helmet skirt each time.
I visited a guy who sells Autocom and Interphone BT systems with an open cheque (check) book. I have a 1200RT with audio pack and, as an existing Autocom user, he asked me whether I minded the wires.
The key question for those considering a change........
I replied that I was used to the wires after 15 years, so he recommended that I reinstall my old system on the new bike. This cost me the same as a new BT system after a thorough system check-up, new components were purchased and labour charges were included.
I'm happy with the result but do understand why folks choose the BT route.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You paid the same to have your old Autocom installed for the same price as a new BT system.  I assume the price included the audio connection cable, switched or unswitched and probably a new power lead.  Labour should have been no more than £80. 
Totally agree with you though as you have full control of everything and totally bike powered forever.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: You paid the same to have your old Autocom installed for the same price as a new BT system.  I assume the price included the audio connection cable, switched or unswitched and probably a new power lead.  Labour should have been no more than £80. 
Totally agree with you though as you have full control of everything and totally bike powered forever.
Yup. New Bluetooth module to be able to use the Zumo 660, new switching relay, direct wiring of the rear aux socket to the battery, unswitched audio connection cable, wiring in a permanent heat controller, new rider down-lead plus the labour of one of the few people I trust to do it properly.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

News about your 660.  If you get prompts from the 660 through the bike speakers you will also get it directly from the Autocom. That way you get volume control over the prompts and the pillion get to tell you you have gone wrong.  I just had to ensure all the BT was disabled, GPS and bike. I had a dongle but just used it for auto answer in the phone, which also goes through to both helmets. Price sounds OK with all the bits.