Scratches on the screen

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
JonGray

Scratches on the screen

Post by JonGray »

Hi everyone. I'm after some advice. I've had my 2011 R1200RT since January and added 3,000 miles to the bike. I'm as anal about keeping the screen clean as I am about my visor. The result is, it now has numerous minute scratches, which on a normal dull, damp spring day here in the UK is no problem, but on the rare occasion that the sun has come out and shines directly on the screen, it's like a firework display has gone off on my screen making it difficult to see through. I have bought a product called Xerapol, which claims to make those tiny scratches disappear. My question is, does it work? Has anyone used this product? I'd be so glad to hear from you
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Scratches on the screen

Post by richardbd »

JonGray wrote: Hi everyone. I'm after some advice. I've had my 2011 R1200RT since January and added 3,000 miles to the bike. I'm as anal about keeping the screen clean as I am about my visor. The result is, it now has numerous minute scratches, which on a normal dull, damp spring day here in the UK is no problem, but on the rare occasion that the sun has come out and shines directly on the screen, it's like a firework display has gone off on my screen making it difficult to see through. I have bought a product called Xerapol, which claims to make those tiny scratches disappear. My question is, does it work? Has anyone used this product? I'd be so glad to hear from you

`never heard of or used it - keen to hear more though...
JonGray

Post by JonGray »

I'll post a report on the results.
Kokoman

Post by Kokoman »

Hi
I was about to ask the same question!
I have a 2014 RT but have small and a couple of deeper scratches. Is there any hope of getting rid of the deeper scratches? I was considering buying a new screen, any body know the best place to order one.
Only had the bike a short time, after having a Pan European for many years, NO comparison!! The RT is light years ahead!!
:kacsint2:
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Rob Johnson wrote: I have a 2014 RT but have small and a couple of deeper scratches. Is there any hope of getting rid of the deeper scratches? I was considering buying a new screen, any body know the best place to order one.

I've got the original screen off my 2014 LC Rob.  I replaced it with a bigger one.

Make me an offer if you like - assuming you're on the right side of the pond!

rbd
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

How did the screen get covered in scratches in the first place.  Gently washing off muck and drying off with a leather shouldn't mark it as they have an anti scratch coating.  If mine gets dried bugs on it I always lay an old wet teatiwel over it for a couple minutes to loosen them up.
Think your going to find though that the only solution will be a replacement.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Scratches on screens can be dealt with but patience is a virtue and a lot of rubbing with flour paper and polish with a dremmel, just don't leave the wheel in the same place too long or else the heat damages more than the scratch..
I used Armour All on my 28 year old LT regularly with good effect.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Kokoman

Post by Kokoman »

To Richardbd

Yes interested in your screen, how do I contact you?
I live in Poole, Dorset
Rob

richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Rob Johnson wrote: To Richardbd

Yes interested in your screen, how do I contact you?
I live in Poole, Dorset
Rob

Probably easiest to PM me via the forum.

I'm in Richmond, Surrey
Kokoman

Post by Kokoman »

richardbd
Have sent a PM message via forum
:)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

sorry for delay Rob - reply sent now.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Any screen is going to get scratches as the miles pile up. The 2014 and up RT, and I think the earlier models as well, have polycarbonate screens which require and anti scratch coating as polycarbonate is soft. Once you scratch the "anti scratch" coating there is nothing you can do to eliminate the blemish. Acrylic screens can be polished to eliminate most scratches. If you can feel it with a fingernail, it will be almost impossible to get that out, but everyday scratches can be removed. For light swirl mark type scratches that come from cleaning on the road, a good car wax labeled as "cleaner wax" will do nicely. Not aggressive enough to get you into trouble, but will make a nice improvement. There are a handful of brands made specifically for cleaning/polishing plastic. I use the Novus #1 for worse than average polishing needs. Be VERY careful with the more aggressive compounds. Especially on polycarbonate. If you buff through the coating, there is nothing you can do for that.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Totally agree a good quality wax will protect paint and the delicate clear screen. One problem is that the many folks get confused between waxes and polishes and to make matters worse there are products that do try to do both in one go. Polishes have abrasive particles and are designed to remove a micro layer of paint to bring back dull paint to new. These are not a good idea on screens. Waxes have no abrasive particles and are designed to protect the shine created by polishing. Go back to my Dads day and these waxes were a devil to apply. However today a wax such as Poorboys Natty's Blue in liquid form is the simplest and easiest product to use. Apply using a sponge pad, leave to dry for a minute and buff with a good quality micro fibre cloth. A screen would take 3 minutes maximum to do. Next time you come back from a ride, lay wet cloths (J cloths work well) and leave for 15 minutes to soften the bugs and dirt. Then gentle wash the screen and dry with a soft micro fibre drying cloth. Reapply the wax. If this interests you then check out car detailing websites for more info. Wax works well on wheels too. Makes cleaning so much easier.
cdnrtowner

Post by cdnrtowner »

Hello from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I got a tip from a long time rider regarding cleaning all bike parts including windscreens. I have used it for more than 5 years successfully. It is a furniture polish called Pledge. I am not sure of its availability across the pond but it's worth checking into. Cheers
rsvldave

Post by rsvldave »

Plexis is a very good cleaner wax for wind screen's