Retro fit LED Sidelights

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ger

Retro fit LED Sidelights

Post by Ger »

Hi,
I have just fitted some Canbus LED bulbs in my sidelights of my water cooled RT but have a warning lamp come up on the dash, can anybody please advise?
Last edited by Ger on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Retro fit LED Sidelights

Post by richardbd »

Ger wrote: Hi,
I have just fitted some Canbus LED lamps in my sidelights of my water cooled RT but have a warning lamp come up on the dash, can anybody please advise?

Take them off again?

;)
iride4u

Post by iride4u »

Most items that you install and are not BMW branded need to get their power through a relay controlled fuse box or a PDM60. Your problem is common when you pull too much power through a circuit on a BMW. On a BMW and newer Harleys the current wiring harness can only be taped as a trigger, not to power a device.
Last edited by iride4u on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

One big NO NO on a Canbus/Limbus bike.  Never cut into the system.  As advised disconnect them.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Ger wrote: Hi,
I have just fitted some Canbus LED lamps in my sidelights of my water cooled RT but have a warning lamp come up on the dash, can anybody please advise?
Not all stuff sold is Canbus compatible, I recently got a HID kit for LC RT with the same result, bought another at greater cost but that works fine, so maybe the adage you get what you pay for does apply sometimes  ;)
ggoldfogel

Post by ggoldfogel »

I know auxiliary lights that are RT-LC compatible are expensive, but having fought this issue with 2 previous BMW models, I strongly recommend you look at Clearwater.  They have a product called "can opener" that plugs into the can bus via the TMPS beneath the passenger seat.  It is the easiest installation I have done ever, and works flawlessly.  I have no financial interest in the company.  There are work arounds, but nothing close to this simplicity...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

They are quite expensive here in the UK but then BMW ones are too. Not in the market yet for additional lights but maybe in the future. Apart from the easy installation is the high price worth paying ? What is the quality like and is the variable intensity of the lights a worth while feature.
ggoldfogel

Post by ggoldfogel »

I also have Denali and Optimus lights on other bikes. All are excellent quality. All have variable settings. Clearwaters are easiest to install and the canbus issue is a pain if you go outside BMW or Clearwater. I took the lights off my c650GT scooter, bought new can opener and harness and rear license plate LEDs with deceleration indicators. Very pleased.