BMW topbox

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Royal

BMW topbox

Post by Royal »

hi guy's, I'm in need of some assistance, when I bought my RT I traded in my K1600 but removed the topbox to put on the RT. My problem is I'm going to get the topbox resprayed and was wondering if you can 'strip' the topbox apart so I can just take the lid of the topbox in to the spray shop  ???  or is it a big job not worth doing.

Cheers
Royal

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: BMW topbox

Post by T6pilot »

Someone will chime in
You can actually take the painted portion of lid off
On a difficulty scale rates low
Just a lot of torx screws
Jim
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

T6pilot wrote: On a difficulty scale rates low
Just a lot of torx screws
As T6pilot said, fairly easy, did mine and took it to my local body shop to get painted  :)
Royal

Post by Royal »

Cheers guys,  ;D
slothy

Post by slothy »

i just painted my r1200rt panels and bags/trunk. remove the lower screws on hinges/backrest and let the painter tape up the rest (going off memory).
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Royal wrote: hi guy's, I'm in need of some assistance, when I bought my RT I traded in my K1600 but removed the topbox to put on the RT. My problem is I'm going to get the topbox resprayed and was wondering if you can 'strip' the topbox apart so I can just take the lid of the topbox in to the spray shop  ???  or is it a big job not worth doing.

Cheers
Royal

Simple to remove the upper shell.  About 4 screws hold the passenger pad and then another 4 or so hold the shell to the box.  It's simple.  If you didn't order the wired box and want to install some kind of auxiliary brake/tail light, wire it while you've got it apart.  You route the wire around from the front of the lid to the hinge side, down into a hole in the base, and then out through a grommet and hole in the bottom.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Thanks mercator1 I've removed the shell now and getting it re-sprayed  :)
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Here's the painted box with aux brake/tail light.
Attachments
truflex.jpg
Royal

Post by Royal »

Looks great, hope mine looks just as good in Callisto grey metallic  :thinking:
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Royal wrote: Looks great, hope mine looks just as good in Callisto grey metallic  :thinking:
Interested to see how your paint guy does with the matte finish paint.  That was one of my concerns.  I wondered how good local paint shops here would do if I needed a repair in that finish.  BTW, these Truflex LED tail light strips are super simple to install.
Royal

Post by Royal »

mercator1 wrote: Interested to see how your paint guy does with the matte finish paint.  That was one of my concerns.  I wondered how good local paint shops here would do if I needed a repair in that finish.  BTW, these Truflex LED tail light strips are super simple to install.
[/quote

Where did you buy your Truflex led lights from and what size did you order mercator1?
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

From here - https://www.customdynamics.com/truflex_ ... .htm.  The 95 LED strip fits perfectly.  You want the little dual converter so that they work as tail light and brake light.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Once again thanks mercator1  :)
LC cool

Post by LC cool »

I have the 49ltr top box and want to fit brake light and interior light any ideas?.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There are 2.  New type is easy.  Old type , probably not possible without mounting a frame on top to hold the light. Our American friends though have no doubt found a way.