Exhaust Flap Error

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
onegrecook

Exhaust Flap Error

Post by onegrecook »

I did a diagnostic check with the GS911 today and got an error that says "Exhaust flap servomotor, adjustment error". The bike is a 2015 R1200RT with 17,000 miles on it. It is still under warrantee so I'll have the dealer take a look. Am I ok to continue riding it until I can get it to the dealer, or is it something I don't need to worry about? I've read of some that remove them, but I'm hesitant to do that while it's under warrantee.

Thoughts?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Error

Post by Steve F »

You say you checked the bike with the GS911. So, this is just a dormant stored fault then, with no other 'live' cautions/warnings etc?
My thoughts / advice? If it's under warranty, don't fiddle with it. Probably wisest to phone the dealer ahead of time and get them to verify if it's okay to ride it in. If not, they have to collect! Simples!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

onegrecook wrote:Am I OK to continue riding it until I can get it to the dealer, or is it something I don't need to worry about? I've read of some that remove them, but I'm hesitant to do that while it's under warrantee.
With the silencer removed, can the internal position of the exhaust flap be viewed.
onegrecook

Post by onegrecook »

Thanks all,

Yes, I could see the flap and it wouldn't move when I actuated the servo motor with the GS911.

today I decided to take the servomotor off and see of there was something blocking it from moving or to find out if the cables were stuck. It was clear. However, when I put it all back together it started working. I could actuate it with the GS911, and it wouldn't do anything when I first noticed the code and tested it. After removing it and putting it all back, it moved when I actuated it. I cleared the fault code (wouldn't let me clear it before as it said the fault was still present)and retested it and it disappeared. Took it for a ride and tested it again. Whatever I did seems to have corrected the issue. I'll test it again in a few days. I wonder if pulling the electrical connector reset the servo somehow? Regardless...it seems fine now.

Thanks
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

According to Haynes Manual to check operation of the exhaust valve, remove silencer, note position of valve in the end of exhaust pipe, then turn ignition ON to actuate the servo, the valve should move through its range then return to its start position. Turn ignition OFF. Hope this helps.