I'm Thinking of trading in my F800GT for a R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Fiveoh018

I'm Thinking of trading in my F800GT for a R1200RT

Post by Fiveoh018 »

I'm a relatively new rider and bought a F800GT 3 years ago.  I love this bike and really have only two complaints but they are big complaints. 1.) I get beat up pretty good by the wind on this bike and 2.) The vibration in the handle bars constantly puts my hands to sleep. I am seriously considering moving up to the R1200RT and was wondering if this bike was okay for a novice rider such as myself. I am assuming the wind problem will be taken care of on the 1200 from everything I've read about it, but I have read conflicting stories about the vibration going through the bars.  I could use some input on this. 
PMB
guest3074

Re: I'm Thinking of trading in my F800GT for a R1200RT

Post by guest3074 »

Fiveoh018 wrote: but I have read conflicting stories about the vibration going through the bars.  I could use some input on this.
I don't have any issues with vibes through the bars although I did on my last bike which was an inline 4.

With a user name like that I'm tempted to say "book em danno"  ;)
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Hi,

I have a 2011  R 1200 RT, have had the 2005 and 2006 as well and did ride a rented F 800 GT last year for around 800 kms.

Wind protection

Yes, big difference but in the end it depends on your seat height and your upper body length relative the shield.
I am 180 cm and have not had any wind issues.
Aftermarket shields may give better protection, ie Cal-Sci which get good reviews but shields seems to be like seats. There is not a single product that suits everyone.

When riding fast and solo, especially with the shield all the way up, you will experience a backdraft that pushes you forward. During legal riding (except Autobahn) it will not happen.

Vibration
Overall I do not experience any irritating vibration during legal riding. But around 155-170 km/h there is some vibration.
On the Autobahn it is not a problem...  ;)

I suggest though that you find a RT with cruise control. Any vibration on long hauls would then be less or none irritating. And the bike is so comfy that you probably would ride longer than on your GT anyway  :)

// Stefan
R 1200 RT  2011
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Oh, and by the way.
A 1200 RT  I would say is easier to handle than the 800 GT since you sit more upright.
And it is noticebly more steady than the 800 GT when riding with passenger/luggage.
Ok, I am biased... but go for the RT  ;)
// Stefan
R 1200 RT  2011
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Numb hand affects different people in different ways and varies bike to bike and also possibly by age. I have had many bikes and had no problems until I reached 50 and found that a Suzuki 1250 Bandit (previously had 3 1200 Bandits), Yam FJR and my current R1200 RT all give me the same problem. Plus side with R1200 RT is that with cruise control I can relax my grip and ease the problem. Only one way to find out-take the plunge, good luck :)
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

Suitability for you depends on how much saddle time you have, but should be no trouble. Vibration and heat are sort of the same--opinions on the same bike vary. Some think the F800GT is toasty, most all say it's great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Fiveoh018 wrote: I'm a relatively new rider and bought a F800GT 3 years ago. I love this bike and really have only two complaints but they are big complaints. 1.) I get beat up pretty good by the wind on this bike and 2.) The vibration in the handle bars constantly puts my hands to sleep. I am seriously considering moving up to the R1200RT and was wondering if this bike was okay for a novice rider such as myself. I am assuming the wind problem will be taken care of on the 1200 from everything I've read about it, but I have read conflicting stories about the vibration going through the bars. I could use some input on this.
I have been riding RTs for over 20 years (K75RT, R1150RT, 2008 1200RT and now a 2015 1200RT) and got a F800GT in 2014 to tide me over the gap between my 1200s.

I am 6'4" and cannot get the F800GT anywhere near as good as an RT for wind, the best I have found is the tall Madstad screen and it is not even close. As with all my previous bikes (other than the K75RT) I have had to get a larger aftermarket screen in order to get the wind protection I want. So be prepared to have to invest a bit of time and cash into getting the wind protection you want.

Regarding vibration, I have fitted grip puppies to both bikes as I dislike the new thinner bars that seem to be all the rage at the moment. Even with the claimed damping effects of the grip puppies I do notice that my right hand gets a bit of a tingling after coming off a 20 mile bash down the motorway on my daily commute. Not had that before on the old 1200RT but it is very minor and not an issue for me, if it were I would use the cruise control more to reduce the effects.

If you have 3 years riding experience then a R1200RT should be fine, but we all drop them at some point and they take more technique to pick up than small bikes! Long story short - Take a test ride for a couple of hours and see for yourself.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Fiveoh018 wrote: I'm a relatively new rider and bought a F800GT 3 years ago.  I love this bike and really have only two complaints but they are big complaints. 1.) I get beat up pretty good by the wind on this bike and 2.) The vibration in the handle bars constantly puts my hands to sleep. I am seriously considering moving up to the R1200RT and was wondering if this bike was okay for a novice rider such as myself. I am assuming the wind problem will be taken care of on the 1200 from everything I've read about it, but I have read conflicting stories about the vibration going through the bars.  I could use some input on this.
RT is a great bike
If your happy with the 800 other than its two flaws, I would look at a replacement windscreen, many options on this side of the pond. As for vibrations bar end weights would help that.
Back to the RT your options are limitless, super touring bike, Excellent handling, all the electronic goodies and not a great deal heavier than 800
Jim
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Fiveoh018 wrote: I'm a relatively new rider and bought a F800GT 3 years ago. I love this bike and really have only two complaints but they are big complaints. 1.) I get beat up pretty good by the wind on this bike and 2.) The vibration in the handle bars constantly puts my hands to sleep. I am seriously considering moving up to the R1200RT and was wondering if this bike was okay for a novice rider such as myself. I am assuming the wind problem will be taken care of on the 1200 from everything I've read about it, but I have read conflicting stories about the vibration going through the bars. I could use some input on this.
I
I have an RT 1200 LE and I'm really enthralled  with it. It is so well balanced When it's on the centre stand which is easy to do you can rock it
It grips the road well corners exceptionally well with little or no vibration due to the counter balance shaft.  It is fast in the dynamic mode and is so easy to ride
My advice is to go for it you won't be disappointed
Bikerman

guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

T6pilot wrote: ...and not a great deal heavier than 800
I disagree with that. BM data shows that the RT is 274kg (604 lbs) fully fuelled, the F800GT 213kg (470 lbs). Thus the RT is 61kg (134 lbs) heavier than the F800GT which is about 29% more. I'd call that a great deal heavier.

I'm not knocking the RT, it's a great bike, I'm on my third and find that the current LC model is the best of them and I enjoy it immensely for all the sorts of reasons mentioned, but you need to consider whether it matters to you that it is substantially heavier than the F800. Any big tourer is going to weigh a lot more than an F800 but the RT is one of the lightest in the big tourer category.
Last edited by guest2826 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

gaggle wrote: I disagree with that. BM data shows that the RT is 274kg (604 lbs) fully fuelled, the F800GT 213kg (470 lbs). Thus the RT is 61kg (134 lbs) heavier than the F800GT which is about 29% more. I'd call that a great deal heavier.

I'm not knocking the RT, it's a great bike, I'm on my third and find that the current LC model is the best of them and I enjoy it immensely for all the sorts of reasons mentioned, but you need to consider whether it matters to you that it is substantially heavier than the F800. Any big tourer is going to weigh a lot more than an F800 but the RT is one of the lightest in the big tourer category.

I love my RT - apart from the weight.  Riding it, the weight is utterly irrelevant.  Pushing it around, the weight is a total pain...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Cure for RT weight hate.  Visit your local dealer. Ask if you can sit on a 1600GTL. Move it foot or two.  Return to RT.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: Cure for RT weight hate. Visit your local dealer. Ask if you can sit on a 1600GTL. Move it foot or two. Return to RT.
:not speak: :enjoying:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

gaggle wrote: I disagree with that. BM data shows that the RT is 274kg (604 lbs) fully fuelled, the F800GT 213kg (470 lbs). Thus the RT is 61kg (134 lbs) heavier than the F800GT which is about 29% more. I'd call that a great deal heavier.
You are correct sir it is 130 pounds heavier, still the RT moves and handles like a much lighter bike
I'am coming off a 1600, which at zero and low speed is a boat anchor compared to RT
Rode a 800 today as a loaner bike, go with the RT!!
Jim
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
I love my RT - apart from the weight.  Riding it, the weight is utterly irrelevant.  Pushing it around, the weight is a total pain...

Weight lol. Try moving my Harley around, it weighs around 100kg more than my RT. The RT is like a push bike to move after that  :)