Rear view Mirror vibration

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Dover Sole

Rear view Mirror vibration

Post by Dover Sole »

After much research, my wife and I decided on a RT1200RT for our tours this summer.
I took it for a test drive but it wasn't until I got over 55 mph that the mirrors started to vibrate
really badly. I told the dealer that the sale was off until this problem was resolved.
However, they appear to be struggling with a solution.
Is there a solution?
There have been 5 owners in 8 years on 25k miles, is this telling me something??
Last edited by Dover Sole on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleverbee

Re: Rear view Mirror vibration

Post by Cleverbee »

25k in 8 years ain't bad...  Is it both mirrors?  Could understand one if dropped and not fitted  back on properly......
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

5 owners in 8 years, bike may have some gremlins from a previous owner, mirrors on a RT should not vibrate, my guess some damage in previous life that wasn't properly fixed. Other thought is to check front tire, wear and balance
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the bike is a 2008 model, then the mirrors are mounted with rubber grommets which are a push fit over locking pins.

This Wunderlich video shows how the mirrors are removed & refitted, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up4AHQXljCE

The dealer might consider replacing the grommets, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=51_7957,
item No. 04, rubber does harden with age & become brittle.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Could be half a dozen reasons.  Motor out of sinc, needs a service.  Out of balance  wheels.  Drop damage to the mirror mountings.  Are you buying it from a BMW dealer?
Best solution is find another one, there are plenty around.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I would walk away as previously stated, and if budget allows look around for a 2010- 2013 model.

BMW dealer prices are slightly higher, but when you take into account the warranty, service history, tax etc it ain't so far from non franchised dealer price.

Also less likely to be a pup, as it's been under warranty all it's life.

Good luck

Marty
Dover Sole

Post by Dover Sole »

I had a call from the Dealer today saying they have ordered a new set of mirrors.

I have agreed to test drive again this Saturday morning. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help so far.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would take that with a pinch of salt.  And if they were both vibrating badly it's more than just the mirrors at fault.  Ask them to show the ones they have taken off.
Dover Sole

Post by Dover Sole »

Yes you might be right. Yes they were both vibrating badly. Good advice to look at the old ones, thank you.

Test drive 9am Saturday, should be interesting.