New To R1200RT and Forum. Observations and Questions.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Conmoto

New To R1200RT and Forum. Observations and Questions.

Post by Conmoto »

It's been 25 years since my last BMW (K100RS). I purchased a well optioned 2012 with 11k miles, immaculately maintained on the outside, and previously serviced by the dealer that sold it.

Observations/Questions:
- Neutral to 1st was SILENT more than a couple times. I've never experienced this on a bike. No clunk or jolt.
- Balance and tracking was better than I imagined.
- Cruise control! Wow. It's amazing on this bike.
- I got over the odd sounding engine/exhaust very quickly. Sounds quite different on it rather than hearing one pass by.
- I'm 6'1" and I'd like a couple more inches added to the windshield. Seat is set to low, I'm slouching, and still more wind than expected.
- There's some noise when engaging the clutch. This will be something I obsess about. Imagining the worst...final drive issues? I didn't notice this sound when I test rode yesterday.
- The 1st gear is a little taller than I care for, but I'll get used to it.
- Is there any way to vent engine heat toward the rider for cold rides?
- I did valve adjustments on my 1980 Honda Silverwing. Does that mean I can safely adjust my RT?

I've only logged about 50 miles so far. I didn't hesitate when purchasing because of the RT's reputation. What symptoms should I look for regarding final drive issues?

Thanks in advance to all that contribute to this forum!

Last edited by Conmoto on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Re: New To R1200RT and Forum. Observations and Questions.

Post by Levisp »

Conmoto wrote: It's been 25 years since my last BMW (K100RS). I purchased a well optioned 2012 with 11k miles, immaculately maintained on the outside, and previously serviced by the dealer that sold it.

- I did valve adjustments on my 1980 Honda Silverwing. Does that mean I can safely adjust my RT?

Thanks in advance to all that contribute to this forum!

Maybe. If you want info on servicing including valve adjustments go

http://www.jvbproductions.com

Fellow American produces excellent DVD on servicing the boxer engine.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Conmoto wrote:I did valve adjustments on my 1980 Honda Silverwing. Does that mean I can safely adjust my RT?
2010 DOHC Valve Adjustment, https://1200rt.com/index.php?topic=1079.0
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Levisp wrote: Maybe. If you want info on servicing including valve adjustments go
http://www.jvbproductions.com
Fellow American produces excellent DVD on servicing the boxer engine.
Valve check on camhead is a piece of cake, gets a little more complex if they are out of limits
In which case a trip to dealer is in order for the appropriate shims to be aquired. My 1200 GS stayed in spec for the 20, 000 miles. GS911 tool is a must if your doing your own maintaince
Jim