Rear View Camera

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Rear View Camera

Post by Steve F »

Yes, military pilots do have HUDs in the cockpit, but somewhat further away than a biker's eye is from a helmet visor! Plus they are supplementary data displays to the standard cockpit instruments, so the pilot doesn't have to fix his view on the HUD display indefinitely. Distraction wise, not really comparing eggs with eggs......we mere mortals have to avoid numerous inattentive cagers and umpteen other natural hazards on the road. The sky is a tad less crowded for the military pilot than the roads are for us, so distraction of that particular kind is not the same!
Technology continues apace but our little brains aren't evolving at anywhere near the same rate, so I think that if bikers are subject to excessive visual distractions with rearward awareness, we end up taking our eyes off the dangers/hazards that really matter in front of us. Just my two penneth (or so).
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Just to clarify, the head up displays that I have seen marketed toward bikers actually have the display towards the top of the visor, so a deliberate effort has to be made to see the display, it is not in vision all of the time.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. However, if that's the case, you're having to then make a conscious effort to look up and temporarily away from what's directly ahead......aren't you?
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Very true, just as you do when riding a bike a using rear view mirror or in a car, when using mirrors, sat-nav, ICE etc?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

LATiger started this.  Let's hope he has a way of stopping it.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

;)  I rest my case!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

falconmick wrote: Two questions:-

*If a 'head up' display is so much of a distraction, how do military pilots manage to fly using such displays?
*Why if a rear view image was displayed on a monitor, why would it be more of a distraction than a sat-nav?

1.  They're less than half our age (well, mine anyway)
2.  They have the reactions of a cross between a housefly and an F1 driver

guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

RTman10 wrote: LATiger started this. Let's hope he has a way of stopping it.
UMMMM, well, uh...

Debate is good, yes?

I certainly had no intention of stirring up any contention amongst readers with just my second post on the forum and I hope no one has taken offense to my musings on the Rear View Camera idea. One thing is for certain, some folks like the idea and some don't. How about we just leave it at that?

In my third post I was going to recommend the best oil for all of your RT's...

Just kidding!

Warmest regards to all,

Brian
Last edited by guest3713 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

No contention Brian, healthy civilised discussion and we are each entitled to our opinions  :) .
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

As promised. He has been using rear view camera since 2005. this is the third set up" that he has bought. Previous set-ups had problems, monitors not able to withstand the vibration, screen fade due to sunlight exposure and cameras not suitable for night time.
This is his latest set up.
I hope it's useful.
If anyone wants the details for the two previous sets I can send them. I have not included them here for brevity.
^-^

So 2013 decided to upgrade to a new upgrade system which was the STM5600HDK 5.6inch monitor with RVSCC881230 Camera. This had been fitted and is 3 years with now no issues.
The price was around  550 pounds which is steep but cannot fault it.

guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

barryj wrote: As promised. He has been using rear view camera since 2005. this is the third set up" that he has bought. Previous set-ups had problems, monitors not able to withstand the vibration, screen fade due to sunlight exposure and cameras not suitable for night time.
This is his latest set up.
I hope it's useful.
If anyone wants the details for the two previous sets I can send them. I have not included them here for brevity.
^-^
So 2013 decided to upgrade to a new upgrade system which was the STM5600HDK 5.6inch monitor with RVSCC881230 Camera. This had been fitted and is 3 years with now no issues.
The price was around 550 pounds which is steep but cannot fault it.
Well done!  Thank you.