Going to look at a 2005 R1200RT. What do I need to know?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Liverpool Brick

Going to look at a 2005 R1200RT. What do I need to know?

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Hello everyone,
Greetings from a Newbie,

I'm going to look at a 2005 1200RT on Monday and I was wondering if there was any common faults or problems I should specifically look out for. On a broader note are there known common problems that I should be aware of that may occur in the future?
My current BMW is a '91 K75S and has proven to be a very reliable bike and lovely to ride but like me is getting a bit long in the tooth. I've no intention of selling it but its due an off road face lift and some tlc.
So, I'm looking at an RT as a suitable replacement. All information gratefully received,
Cheers, Andy :) [size=78%] [/size]
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
guest2360

Re: Going to look at a 2005 R1200RT. What do I need to know?

Post by guest2360 »

Not a 2005 or 06 model.  12 years old with electro servo brakes it's not worth the risk. If they fail the repair cost would be more than the value of the whole bike.  Find a 2007 onwards, much safer buy.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: Not a 2005 or 06 model.  12 years old with electro servo brakes it's not worth the risk. If they fail the repair cost would be more than the value of the whole bike.  Find a 2007 onwards, much safer buy.

I've got a low mileage 2006 RT which is in excellent condition, no corrosion even when viewed with the panels off, unlike some of the later models where corrosion can be an issue. Yes, its got the dreaded 'wheezing' servo breaks. But the reality is that they works great, so I've forgotten about them. Worst case my local service shop charge £400 for a conventional conversion. So if you can find a clean example I would go for it. Coming to a BMW for the first time I've been 'blown away' by how good it is. Yes, the dry clutch & clunky gearbox took some getting us but once done its fine. Good luck.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's a new one on me.  Remove the servo you would remove ABS as well as its all the same unit. scary. Condition is obviously a big consideration but I maintain that if you don't need go by a servo bike, don't.
Liverpool Brick

[size=2px] but I maintain that if you don't need go by a servo bike, don't.[/size]

Do you mean that in '07 BMW changed the design and stopped using the servo system? Obviously I need to research this more. What are other people's experience of the "dreaded wheezing brakes" and what are the consequences? Just how serious is it? I ask because there's a perpetual debate on my K75 about lubing the clutch spline and opinion is split - some say its totally essential to avoid Armageddon and others say its a waste of time. Thoughts please!
Andy
Tango

Post by Tango »

The very fact that there is debate about ABS bikes would be enough to put me off.

If the budget allows, go for a post 2010 model, better overall IMO.  :)

good luck

Marty
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

in January 2007 the servo brake system was dropped. It had no effect on the brakes efficiency. The servo unit is part of what BMW call a modulator. They cost about £1000 not fitted.. Being a braking item they are quite reliable but when they pack up, and they can you end up with another good BMW term, residual braking. Not something you would want to try. The rest of the bike stayed about the same up until 2010. The main problem with the unit can be corrosion. It's situated under the tank so can't be regularly cleaned. The other problem is if you like doing your own servicing, you cannot change the brake fluid which is a bi-annual job. It can only be done by a dealer as special equipment js needed.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I agree with RTman10 keep away from 05 ,06 If the servo goes it will cost more than the bike, you can get 2nd hand units but with no guarantee.
Think about it there has to be a reason they only fitted them for 2 yrs.
As far as doing a conventional conversion for £400 I reckon its impossible Think about it a brake disc is around £250, yer not going to get a lot for £400.
Keep with 07 onwards or you might regret it!!
I don't think mileage has anything to do with it
Liverpool Brick

If the budget allows, go for a post 2010 model,[/size]
Unfortunately - it doesn't!
Thanks for all your input guys. I found other threads about the servo on earlier models and its made me reconsider the whole thing. I'll talk to the bank when she gets home and look at 07 onwards. (no wonder the 05 was on at such a good price - no such thing as a free lunch).
Andy
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Wise decision Andy
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

step2534 wrote: I agree with RTman10 keep away from 05 ,06 If the servo goes it will cost more than the bike, you can get 2nd hand units but with no guarantee.
Think about it there has to be a reason they only fitted them for 2 yrs.
As far as doing a conventional conversion for £400 I reckon its impossible Think about it a brake disc is around £250, yer not going to get a lot for £400.
Keep with 07 onwards or you might regret it!!
I don't think mileage has anything to do with it
Actually I was wrong about the price of the conversion. It's called 'Servoectomy' and is £250. Basically they:

1. Disconnect and remove the complete servo unit and ancillaries which weighs a whopping 6kg!
2. Connect front and rear brake lines.
3. Install relays for the activation of the brake light via the front or rear brake levers (previously by servo circuit)
4. Link out brake warning light (no longer required)
4. Flush and top up fluid.

So like a 2007 onwards bike you loose the servo with no detrement to braking performance. Ok the linked braking goes but actually I ditched this on my blackbird so would not bother me at all. Interestingly they have also done this conversion on a number post 06 bikes where the owner just wanted a conventional break set-up. So in summary not so black and white about choosing an 05 / 06 bike. Finding a clean tidy example will be more of a challenge!

Last edited by UKDucatiman on Thu May 05, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Who are (they).  £250 is no more than 3 or 4 hrs skilled work.  what's described is a lot more than that.  Remember your Blackbird had mechanically linked brakes.  The RT ones are electronically semi linked and to disable that is very worrying.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

RTman10 wrote: Who are (they).  £250 is no more than 3 or 4 hrs skilled work.  what's described is a lot more than that.  Remember your Blackbird had mechanically linked brakes.  The RT ones are electronically semi linked and to disable that is very worrying.

They are an Independent BMW & Honda service center http://www.motoscot.co.uk/

I'm not sure I follow your concern, once removed from the bike (mechanical or electrical) its gone and you are back to conventional brakes. They have done a number of bikes and as far as I'm aware no compliants. This is also a popular mode in the US. Maybe not my choice of tech for working on my bike but the video is worth a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xZMewBazMI
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Fri May 06, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That is an 1150RT.  Totally different system.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

These guys offer a rebuild of the ABS module for £195 plus vat backed up with a lifetime warranty. Maybe an option for those with failed units?
http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/pro ... 08473.html