Slipping out of gear

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Larryblag

Slipping out of gear

Post by Larryblag »

My 1200RT Twin cam slipped out of 4th gear twice last night. Might have been a lazy foot on my part but I never had a single miss with the 1150.
Engaged 4th, power back on - jumped into 3rd - anyone else had this? Bike is 3 years old and only covered 10k miles. I've done about 500 miles since I got it.
♻ larryblag ♻
rglassma

Re: Slipping out of gear

Post by rglassma »

What type of motor oil do you have in the RT??  I have seen this before on motorcycles that are using motor oil that are out of spec.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

rglassma wrote:I have seen this before on motorcycles that are using motor oil that are out of spec.
Which motorcycles & what oil?
Larryblag

Post by Larryblag »

Oil is whatever the BMW dealer put in it. He added a bit more when they did the cam chain adjuster and I've checked the level it's not too high  :-\.
Adjusted the gear lever a smidgen to rule out lazy foot syndrome. Been another 40 miles today and it's not happened again.
♻ larryblag ♻
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Gearbox is separate from the engine.  I would just go for a ride and make sure you are positive with your changes before looking further.
Larryblag

Post by Larryblag »

I'm an idiot. Of course it is. The fact that it has a single plate clutch and proper Bell housing should've reminded me I'm no longer riding a Japanese.
Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm still embarrassed  :-[
♻ larryblag ♻