Touring Screen

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
crawfordjohn

Touring Screen

Post by crawfordjohn »

Thinking of buying a Wunderlich touring screen for my RT. Anyone got one fitted and opinion please?.
guest2360

Re: Touring Screen

Post by guest2360 »

There is a proper touring screen by BMW for your LC.  Understand its quite good.
crawfordjohn

Post by crawfordjohn »

Just had a look RTman...Cost is a staggering £228.00 from BMW!. Same screen on sale on Ebay from BMW retailer £279.00!!!.
Last edited by crawfordjohn on Sun May 08, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Quite ride by Werks
everyone who has ridden my bike has ordered one, kinda says it all
I have the standard height screen
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

£50 more on E Bay .  Sounds about right. Remember the quality of aftermarket screens can be suspect.  Have they been tested for their reaction in accidents etc. But asin all things  you get what you pay for.
crawfordjohn

Post by crawfordjohn »

The Wunderlich is not cheap either at £179.00.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The Wunderlich is not cheap either at £179.00.
Assuming £229 is correct most dealers would probably give a 10% discount making it about £209 with a 2 year warranty thrown in.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I have the BMW touring screen.  Big improvement over the standard one for me - less wind/rain on the shoulders.

I'm 6', 32" inside leg, standard seat on high, still look over the screen - just the job...
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Wunderlich for me.... vast improvement on the standard😊
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

I have the BMW 'Comfort' screen. I think it's a good improvement over the standard screen. I'm a fraction under 6' foot tall, with 32 inch legs. I have the 'high' seat in the lower position.

I rarely have the screen all the way up. The added width and 'wraparound' is the benefit for me. However, everyone's different and seats, screens and handlebar position is a very personal fitment.

I bought mine from the BMW Motorrad store. I can't remember how much I paid, but the store website currently shows it at £228 plus £11-odd for DHL delivery.

With previous generations of the RT, there were some cases of oversized aftermarket screens causing fracture of the screen support arms. I'd imagine that official BMW accessories have been tested on the bike!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Wunderlich screen for me too. Bought it for its extra width. Those ears work well at keeping the elements off my shoulders. Gives me better protection. Maybe I'm too tall for the standard screen with high seat option. Seems well made. Fully up acts as an emergency brake system if required ! I only ever use it a fraction up from fully down, looking well over the top. Works for me. If I require more then I'll take the car.
Last edited by Levisp on Sun May 08, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

I've used Cee Baileys screens from the USA for a dozen years.  I believe they make aircraft windshields but have branched into motorcycles.  You can specify the width and height and colour (or clear).  Even when bought from the States they arrive quickly and are reasonable prices even with duties. And I'm not on commission I promise - they are really good!

Ceebaileys.com
crawfordjohn

Post by crawfordjohn »

Thanks very much for all the information and advice guys. I have acquired an as new light tinted  Wunderlich from Ebay for £90.00 including postage. Will let you know how I get on.CJ
crawfordjohn

Post by crawfordjohn »

Fitted Wunderlich screen today, definitely better wind and buffeting protection. However when fully up definitely noisier, sounds like coming from between the fully raised screen and fairing.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you want the Werks Quiet screen, order from here http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.php? ... ductId=403 They make the screen for Werks and are cheaper. Werks include postage in their costs, but if shilling to the UK, its of no advantage.